• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

By-lines

Dave Hussey

Member III
I was thinking >stop the presses...a thought is about to be disclosed<
you know, when someone creates a new topic, their name is placed under the title in the by-line. However, any replies, or conversation that ensues causes the by-line to change, and I think this is unfortunate. I always feel like I'm hijacking someone's thread, when my name replaces theirs. Shouldn't the originator of the thread keep their by-line? :confused::nerd:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I will post a "reply" and see if the name changes....

Loren

ps: Nope. You are still the named thread originator....

Dave Hussey

Member III
new title

Hi Loren,
Hmmm, I see the error of my ways...it's the 'last post' column where the new author's name appears. And if that person doesnt enter a new title, it appears to look like they've hijacked the subject, as their name is now associated with the original title. I usually read and reply in the General Forum pages, and rarely change a title...hence I unwittingly hijack... :nerd:

Dave Hussey

Member III
sticking to my original comment

Hey again Loren,
I just did an experiment, which reinforces my conviction...here's what I tried:
If you go out to the Information Exchange level, then pick a heading, for instance, the Lifestyle and Living pages...there is a short topic on canned bacon. Note that I was not the originator of the topic, but by making a reply, I've hijacked the by line in the 'last post' column. I had thought that a new title in my reply would make a difference, but it didnt. (I've deleted my experimental post, since it was just a test)
Anyway, that was my thought. (an over active adrenal gland in my brain I guess) :)
chears.
DFH

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When you view the list of General Ericson Forums, the column under which you see your name as a subsequent poster is the "Last Post" column. When you open that forum and view the list of threads, then it shows the originating post and originating author.
I see what you mean, though, when you look at the Last Post column only.

Happy surfing!
:)

Loren

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
This is the title of my response - not the entire thread...

Correct - the title of the thread itself does not change - but it indicates what the 'last post' was.

This is to encourage further discussion - as you can see what the last response to the discussion line was...

:egrin:

//sse