• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 36C Desired,- I think?

erikwfab

Member II
I am looking for an E 36C on the West Coast and better yet CA. For some reason I am drawn to this boat because of her more traditional looks, high bow, large cockpit, and flush deck. I am concerned with interior room though. Having never sailed one it is a bit naieve of me to narrow my choice down to one scarce boat type, and welcome any comments from those more experienced. I will be using the boat for coastal cruising and short live aboard periods in the Los Angeles area. I see there is one for sale in Maine and one in Green Cove Springs Fl. both of which require trucking, and Im guessing thats $5000. Having never trucked a boat i am reluctant to do so, primarily because of the added expense. So if there is anyone who knows of a 36C owner who is contemplating selling it and can put me in touch with him/ her great.
Or if anyone has any other suggestions for like kind vessels i am all ears,:egrin:big pointy ones like a Viking.

noproblemo2

Member III
There is an E-380 for sale by her new owners, we were the previous for 26yrs,sold only due to health issues. The new owners bought her last Sept. but have decided they prefer "stink pots" over sail. She is in the LA area and has been professionally maintained. If interested contact me for the link. This is one I will vouch for.:egrin:

Mikebat

Member III
That's a very tall order. You might find some other owners willing to sell if you search the owner registry right here at EY.O.

Go to the site's home page, click on "Owners and Projects" then click on "Owners/Yacht Registry" and search for the 36C. There are 14 of them listed.

Also, your guesstimate of $5,000 to truck a 36' boat from the East to West coast might be as much as 1/3 to low. I was given an estimate of $7,000 to truck Valinor from Sausalito to Los Angeles when I bought her. I hired a skipper and sailed her down instead.

Last edited:

FullTilt E28

Member III
I got a quote for Great lakes to SF - 27ft boat 6,500lbs no permits needed $12,000 professional trucking service - this was before the price of fuel went up. We got it down to around 9,000 by sharing the load with a smaller boat.

In the end we found a local boat - cost to get it home was about 1/4 gallon of diesel.

erikwfab

Member II
thanks for the info Mike on 36C owners, i contacted a couple and have had some great conversations. its a great community, i look forward to having an Ericson under my feet and utilizing the technical expertese of those on this site.
great info on the trucking too, i was talking to a friend who recovered an Ericson in southern Mexico sailed it halfway up Baja then loaded it on a salt ship, great craddle, where it was delivered to LA.

i also learned that Bruce King owned a 36 for some time, which i suppose is like Henry driving a Ford, logical.
I have heard from a couple sailing Paradise a E36c, capt. Jan being the origional owner. These stories are cool, and really helps when , either stuck on the 405 in traffic or dealing with unappreciative land lubbers.:cool::cheers:

Mick

Member I
My mother passed away 4 years ago and so did their dreams of sailing around the world on her. Since then my father hasn't done anything with the boat and she's in pretty neglected condition.

I just went down to check on her and found 3 inches of sea water and some algae growth above the floor... got her pumped out and she's dry now but I have no idea of potential damage at this point.

Last edited:

erikwfab

Member II
Mick,
Its too bad your parents never got to realize their dream and i can appreciate your situation, as i have parents in their 80's. my Dad bought a 27 when he retitred and was almost done fixing her up when she caught fire, electrical, and sunk out from under him, the end of a dream, he was picked up by a passing boat and was fine. I am still looking for a 36C and am not apposed to one needing work. i have access to resources in the Richmond area and would be willing to help you with whatever you decide to do with her.
i am located in LA, but my work, a port engineer for Crowley,the tug boat company, takes me to the Bay area often.
let me know if i can be of assistance.
Regards
Erik Fabian
562 253 5814

Shearwater

Member I
Mick, where is she berthed? we're owners of a E36C in Benicia that we have lived on for the last 5 years and love her, but am always looking for the next project. Keep us in the loop, as it is a small circle were in. Good luck with her.

Mick

Member I
Mick, where is she berthed? we're owners of a E36C in Benicia that we have lived on for the last 5 years and love her, but am always looking for the next project. Keep us in the loop, as it is a small circle were in. Good luck with her.

We're in Vallejo. My father and I have actually paid off the dock fees and have been having quite a bit of fun getting started on quite a bit of fix up on her. Most of the stuff is going to have to wait till spring as we have a lot of above deck stuff to take care of but we're getting as much done below decks as we can right now.

Jon Libby

Member II
From a 36C owner

Erik,

We have a 36C and are waiting for our house to sell before we go far away sailing and living on it too. We are in the middle of the big refit and love the boat. It can handle a LOT of wind and seas, and always turns heads in any port we land at. Doing the sailing you discribe, a lot of boats will fill that void. The same issues and concerns where discussed by my wife and I before we bought this boat. The aft cabin is great for the main cabin or as a quest cabin for the visiting kids or the weekend quest. The Large cockpit is like a huge back porch. We spend a lot of time in the cockpit and it fits 8 poeple for a day sail with out any problems. The flush deck is great to work on and with the large dodger we have it also has a lot of area for tucking things under out of any weather, like kids or dogs or charts...

I know of the boat in Maine, a friend of ours went up to look at it and has the same hots for it, but it might be in the early stages of a deal. It to has set for a while, same deal as Mick's parents' boat.

The boat has a lot of potential for more space, redoing or adding equipment. There is a lot of nooks and crannies that we've opened up for storage and other equipment.

If you have any questions about the boat at all ask away. This site is filled with some very smart people.

Brass Dragon

Member II
Ericson 36C for sale in Seattle

If you are still looking for an E 36C, I believe Blue Jeans (blue hull, white window belt) may be up for sale in Seattle. One of the owners has participated on the forums several years back, may still be online. I have contact info if you are interested.

erikwfab

Member II
E36C no longer desired but found and loved

Greetings all who have posted!
i sit here aboard hull#8 Unda Maris extreemly content.
i was able to purchase this fine craft from Sonny Wical and am pleased.
i spent a month on her bottom and now have her in Benecia CA. i have not had the time to really sail her but approaching her at the slip is enough for now as her lines are pleasing to my eyes. i have no regrets and look forward to making the cool improvements i have seen on Kadisch and Paradise. i have a lot of work to do beginning with the steering cables, 120vac wiring and installation of a reefer. i was thinking of replacing the origional stove with something more efficient like a radiant convection microwave. then the nav stuff like a laptop GPS electronic chart. my budget is tight so perhaps keeping it simple like a reliable sounder and radar are in order.
has anyone added mooring cleats amidships? i think she could use some just aft of the shrouds for spring lines.

heres to a great network of boat aficianados and i look forward to sharing sea stories with fellow E36C owners in the not so distant future.
Cheers:egrin:

Russell Skinner

Congradulations

I'm a happy owner of a 36c on the Chesapeake. I've owned Varuna for 4 years and have been very happy with her. I've done a lot of work on her and the more I get into her guts the more I feel confident in her. I have midship cleats on the genoa track that work well for spring lines. What I particularly love about her is the cutter rig. When things get hairy out there, and they do, I roll in the genny put up the stay sail and all is well. It's really nice to know you can throttle down and enjoy the white caps!

Things you should know. She has considerable prop walk, so you can turn her any way you want to as long as it's clockwise. She sails wonderfully, with one finger on the wheel, but she won't go right into the wind in a steep chop.

I hope you enjoy her and if you need advice, second opinion or help figuring something out e-mail or call me 434-960-2154.

She's a really good boat.

Russell Skinner

Mick

Member I
Erik Congratulations! Glad you found one. I've gotten my father back interested in ours and we've been working about 1-2 days a month on fixing her up. We're up in Vallejo at the moment but were thinking of storing her on the hard in Benicia as we heard its one of the few yards that will let you do your own work.

She's going to need to be pretty much completely redone top to bottom but we're making progress. We have power again now and I've been working on redoing the wiring and getting the charger/inverter figured out so I can figure out the best wiring for that.

My dad added midship cleats as one of his first projects on her about 15 years ago when we first bought her. With her wide beam they are really nice for spring lines so they aren't rubbing against the hull.

Hope to see ya on the bay this summer!

:egrin:

erikwfab

Member II
No Doubt about it now 36C is for me!

I love this boat!
She is definately not the fastest but she is sound, stable and comfortable.
Just as her lines are easy on the eyes her characteristics under sail are refined.
Thank you Mr. King for a fine design!:egrin:

Attachments

• san fran on boat 006.jpg
    san fran on boat 006.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,526

Mick

Member I
Yep that is the rock in the background.

Erik, hope to see ya out on the bay one of these days.. just finished with all the electrical work on my dad's 36C and got all the parts to freshen up the engine with. Once we have that running again we'll be hauling it out and doing the bottom and replacing some seacocks and back in the water in time for summer.

Linda

Love our ericson

We are proud ericson owners, yet it is time for us to move to the dark side. We sailed our 36C to the northwest in 1999. She is a wonderful old gal.
I am looking for an E 36C on the West Coast and better yet CA. For some reason I am drawn to this boat because of her more traditional looks, high bow, large cockpit, and flush deck. I am concerned with interior room though. Having never sailed one it is a bit naieve of me to narrow my choice down to one scarce boat type, and welcome any comments from those more experienced. I will be using the boat for coastal cruising and short live aboard periods in the Los Angeles area. I see there is one for sale in Maine and one in Green Cove Springs Fl. both of which require trucking, and Im guessing thats $5000. Having never trucked a boat i am reluctant to do so, primarily because of the added expense. So if there is anyone who knows of a 36C owner who is contemplating selling it and can put me in touch with him/ her great.Or if anyone has any other suggestions for like kind vessels i am all ears,:egrin:big pointy ones like a Viking.

Linda

Dreamseeker

I am looking for an E 36C on the West Coast and better yet CA. For some reason I am drawn to this boat because of her more traditional looks, high bow, large cockpit, and flush deck. I am concerned with interior room though. Having never sailed one it is a bit naieve of me to narrow my choice down to one scarce boat type, and welcome any comments from those more experienced. I will be using the boat for coastal cruising and short live aboard periods in the Los Angeles area. I see there is one for sale in Maine and one in Green Cove Springs Fl. both of which require trucking, and Im guessing thats $5000. Having never trucked a boat i am reluctant to do so, primarily because of the added expense. So if there is anyone who knows of a 36C owner who is contemplating selling it and can put me in touch with him/ her great.Or if anyone has any other suggestions for like kind vessels i am all ears,:egrin:big pointy ones like a Viking.
We have one for you. Check it out at North Harbor Diesel yacht sales or Yachtworld. Com in Anacortes, wa.