• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Did Ericson build a 51'?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Did Ericson build a 51'?

See attachment.

Note the lengths listed at the bottom of this old ad.
:esad:

Attachments

• e32.jpg
    e32.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 191

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
a design that never got built? Maybe became the 46?
It would have been cool to see!

Never seen that ad, thanks Jeff.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
That ad is REALLY old. Thats the 32-1/"Scorpion" from the late 60's, same vintage as the Ericson/Alberg 35-1.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I know it's hard to read, but there's a note right in front of the keel: "Would Believe... Less than $8,000."

Sounds like their playing off "Get Smart", that was prime time back then.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I don't think that at the time Ericson was building the Scorpion 32s that they were building too many other boats. The Alberg 35 as Cory mentions and maybe the 26. Almost certainly not the biggest ones at the bottom of the ad.

I think the King-designed high-30's lengths and the 41 were only built during the run of the second 32' design, also by King, which started in '68.

Who knows where the 51' plan came from!? It's possible that NONE of the boats in the ad are King designs.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Well, if the picture in the ad is supposed to be a 32, its certainly not a 32-2. Maybe they were in transition or just optimistic?

And props to TP Enders, as all I know about the Scorpion is from his excellent site which I think actually predates EYC/EYO at "http://www.geocities.com/tpe2/ericson.htm". He actually has a copy of this ad dated July 1966.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
> Maybe they were in transition or just optimistic?

I think they had some vaporyachts in their marketing materials!

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
The 51 was actually designed, a model was built and tank tested but
was never produced. The underbody was similar to the Islander 55.

Martin

Skip Jim

Member II
Martin,

I knew you would eventually show up and tell us what actually happened. Nice to have you on this site.

Jim