• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Steering Maintenance

Kim Schoedel

Member III
I searched for this topic but didn't find data, probably searched for the wrong terminology. Anyway...

Routine maintenance on my 35-3? Any input would be very helpfull. I am not sure what to lube, nor what product/s to use. Thanks.

u079721

Contributing Partner
On my check list for steering was mostly the cables. I would go over them to be sure there weren't any broken strands, then check that the tension was correct, and that the thimbles were secure. While down there I would look over the rudder stops to be sure they were still intact. Then I would remove the compass and lubricate the chain where it went over the sprocket link by link.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Thanks Steve, please excuse my ignorance but what are the thimbles? Also, did you lube the cables? If so, what kind of lube should I use for the cables and the chain? While serfing of previous threads, I noticed mention of the grease zert/s I think for the rudder post? Do you know where this zert is located? Thanks,

Ray Rhode

Member III
Kim,

The original Owner's Manual does not mention lubing the rudder bearings, but it does show two grease fittings. I use a grease gun with regular bearing grease. The lower fitting is easy to get to but the top one is very difficult and unless you are small enough to fit in the stern locker you will need to work by Braille.

Ray Rhode
S/V Journey
E35-III, #189

EGregerson

Member III
Steering Lube

My Edson manual says to lube the bearings with teflon grease; (Not the chain!) i used a 3.1 oz tube from a bike shop (no one else seemed to have teflon grease in a small size) I squeezed it into the 2 little holes on either side of the chain (see pic). turn the wheel as you squeeze; it makes the wheel turn nice and smooth. One day if i can get my scanner and edson manual together, I'll scan it in and post it to this site.

If you have a quadrant steering disc, you can loosen the nuts on the ends of the cables; (thimbles?) as already suggested, oil this with light oil; like 30w motor oil. Be careful not to get the oil on the brake lining. By loosening the nuts; you can slip the cables over the disk and clean the entire length of the cable. enjoy

Attachments

• EdsonGear1.JPG
    EdsonGear1.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 83

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Thanks to everyone for your input and photo's. I just learned a bunch. Now I need to get my older, not so flexible body contorted enough to get the job done. Wonder if I can talk the admiral (my wife) into this. Naw, just dreaming.

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
Kim, my wife gets in that space armed with a grease gun and lubricating oil. She kind of likes it. She was going to make the descent to check the transmission fluid level until I found a removable panel in the quarterberth. We've had the boat a little over a year and are still finding stuff.

Steve Murray
E35 III 222
Charlottetown PEI