• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Loss of a fellow boater.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Loss of a fellow boater.

A few weeks ago I went down to my boat after work and one of my dock neighbors said that my Buddy Jim had passed away. This caught me totally off guard. I said "Jim who?". He said the guy who was moored right in front of me. I couldn't believe it. He was referring to Jim Madden, a 56 year old successful contractor who had built his own 32' Sport Fisher "ONO".

Apparently Jim had drowned while changing out the zincs. This didn't make sense to me or anyone else who knew Jim. He had no health problems to speak of. He exercised regularly, didn't smoke and I don't ever recall him drinking. A few days later Jim's Nephew called me to give me the details about the Memorial Services and said the autopsy had officially stated that he had drowned. No evidence of heart attack or stroke or any other complications. He was doing the zinc work in the water with only swim trunks, no wet suit. I thought that was a bit strange, but the water was fairly warm. I am guessing about 67-68 degrees. Not impossible to work in. Jim's Nephew Tony, was his main fishing partner, First Mate and a Marine Diesel mechanic by trade. Tony is also a certified diver and speculates that Jim may of had a black out. He may have tried to hold his breath just a little too long trying to make that last turn of a screw driver or wrench.

Jim had done so much work on his boat this last year. All new Awlgrip paint, rebuilt engine, new hydraulic steering. ONO was a beautiful no nonsense Sport Fisher that now looks like it was launched yesterday.

I had become very acquainted with Jim over the past 5 years being dock neighbors. Jim and I had many long conversations about boating, the offshore islands, fishing and our love affairs with our boats. We also shared a lot of laughs. I developed a great respect for Jim as a very experienced Skipper and as a honest and giving human being. We had also ran into each other at Catalina Island a couple of times. Jim was a great fisherman. He had caught Tuna, large Sea Bass but his main interest was Marlin. I remember when I ran into Jim at Catalina once, he had landed a 150 lb Black Marlin by him self. Not a easy task operating the boat while reeling it in. Jim was a real fisherman. He often went to San Clemente and way off shore, past the Islands to go for the big ones, often in rough conditions. That's why I find it so ironic that this accident happened in the still waters of the Marina.

Jim's on the water service had to be one of the most beautiful things I have ever witnessed in my life. No less that 17 power boats, mostly sport fishers left Cabrillo Marina in San Pedro at 4 pm and headed up the coast of the Palos Verdes Peninsula to a location where Jim's Father's ashes were placed years before. All the boats followed "ONO" that was carrying Jim's family with his daughter standing like a figure head on the bow sprit. The sight of all those boats rounding the Angels Gate light house was very powerful. Jim was also a avid surfer, so when we arrived at the location there were some 25+ surfers in the water forming a circle with chants and prayers. Very emotional. There were also two pari sailors in the air and many other people lining the bluffs above the surf. Some one told me there were about 80 people on the 17 boats. When it was time to give the ashes to the Sea, they opened "ONO" wide up and headed her into the wind. All the other boats followed, flat out.

This day and these images and the memory of this well loved fellow boater will be in my memory forever.

So take and even strain all and be very respectful of the Sea and our Ships.

Sail on Jim and keep reeling em' in!

Jeff

Attachments

• P6240065.jpg
    P6240065.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 66
  • P6240075.jpg
    P6240075.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 81
  • P6240112.jpg
    P6240112.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 63
  • P6240130.jpg
    P6240130.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 61
  • P6240134.jpg
    P6240134.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 64

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Jeff,

Thanks for sharing. It is very moving, thanks in part to your good write-up & pictures. I just dove the other day in our marina to move my zincs as I was working on the transmission and aligning it. It is very tough to do with only a mask, snorkel and fins. It was all I could do to just loosen the zincs. I couldn't really budge them from position, let alone move them to the opposite side of the strut, as I wanted to do. I bonked my head on the hull & almost durfaced too quickly under the dock. I am a good swimmer, too. It just shows, you must be careful in the water, and never do this stuff alone.

Here's to your friend, Jim:cheers:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thanks Keith,

The fact that he was trying to do it alone is a big mystery. That wasn't like Jim. I had seen Jim maybe only an hour or two before it happened. There were lots of people around that Sunday afternoon. My dock neighbor on my port side was the guy who pulled him out of he water.

Very strange and very sad.

"Safety First, Prepare for the Worst" and remember the "Buddy System"!

noproblemo2

Member III
These type of death are always a shock, a year ago a fellow boater in ABM was found floating by her boat, she was a very experienced boater who was a Transpac veteran. I guess this is another wake up call to always have a buddy system.:esad:

sleather

Sustaining Member
Jeff, Very well written, tragic story. The funeral service was particularly poignant. A good lesson for us all.

SingPilot

Sounds familiar.....

Google 'Dockside stray voltage".

I would NEVER change a zinc in my marina by myself.

Sorry to hear about the passings, I lost my next door dock neighbor to cancer last summer. It changed the feel of the dock forever.