• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

M25XP hose size from coolant pump

TorMar

Member II
On my 1989 Universal M25XP I still have the original hose on there and want to replace it - but I recall the hose has different size ends. One seems to be bigger than the other.
Mine is a short hose, about two inches coming down from the pump, a 90 degree turn towards the side of the engine and about four inches onto a metal flange that passes under the alternator.
I recall a previous post saying one end is 7/8th inch inside diameter, the other is 3/4inch inside diameter. Which diameter goes where???
Living 300 miles away from the boat is not helpful when trying to buy hose.

Thanks in advance.

Tor

Last edited:

TorMar

Member II
Coolant Hose

Ayup. That's the one. I contacted a Universal dealer on the coast in BC and he quoted me $56 dollars plus 12% tax and shipping costs to get this eight inch long hose stub. I'm somewhat reluctant to spend $75 dollars on an eight inch long coolant hose.

I'm going to try to get a preformed hose from a radiator shop. They are available in the shape needed and the different sized ends. I just need to know which end is 7/8th inch and which is 3/4 inch to get the right hose.
Cost of the hose will be eight dollars......

What does B O A T stand for???????

Tor
:)

Brookelise

Member II
Hose

I think you're talking about the hose in the picture below (taken before we replaced it with a new hose). The consensus here seems to be that the narrow end (3/4") is on the longer side of the hose. We're not at the boat, so we can't be certain. Maybe someone else on the list could say for sure.

Attachments

• hose.jpg
    hose.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 840
Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I agree with Brooke, the large end is on the water pump. I found a preformed hose at my local NAPA dealer for the 7/8" hose and continued to use the 3/4" copper street elbow for the bend as shown in her picture.

TorMar

Member II
Coolant Hose

Thanks, Folks.

I'll get the hose with the 7/8th at the water pump side. I'll happily spend the $ 8.00 to save $68.

I've replaced all other hoses on the cooling system. Now the remaining original hose will be replaced, accompanied by much peace of mind!

Tor

89 E-34, Corcovado

pvajko

Member I
M25XP coolant hose

I need to replace this hose on my M25XP too as it is chafing against the alternator adjusting strap.

The Torresen site lists (http://tinyurl.com/7jmrm69) this hose as a 7/8" 30" hardwall water hose, looks like this is one piece from the pump to the heat exchanger, instead of the elbow and two hoses I have now. Now, what confuses me is that the original hose seems to be narrower (3/4) on the HX end.

Has anyone replaced the original hoses/elbow with this Torresen part?

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
Hose

I went to O'Reilly's and found a Gates hose with almost the exact same angle......had to cut some off each end as it was too long but it fit just fine. I think the cost was under $10.00. Dan Callen Ericson 32-3 Andiamo

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
Hose

I went to O'Reilly's and found a Gates hose with almost the exact same angle.....had too cut at each end to get to the proper angle as it was too long. Fit just fine and the cost was under $10.00. Dan Callen Ericson 32-3 Andiamo.

pvajko

Member I
Is it a 7/8" on both ends? Did you replace the part from the pump to the elbow only or all the way to the HX, getting rid of the elbow?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Chafe Guard

Like the photo in reply #4, our metal elbow is almost against the bracket. I put a small curved alum. "guard" around the outer radius.
Strictly just my opinion, but this was not one of Universal's prouder design moments...

Unless all Kubota tractors have the same issue -- but perhaps they always had a physically smaller alternator.

There are a lot of little problems to solve or mitigate when marinizing an engine.
:nerd:

Loren

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
pvajko - As I said in reply # 5 above, one end, the pump end, is 7/8" and the other is 3/4". A 3/4" copper street elbow does the trick as shown in Brooke's pic in reply #4.

I wouldn't use Torresen's hose and pay their price plus shipping. That's what local auto parts stores are for.

pvajko

Member I
Let's rephrase my question then: did anyone replace the original hose-elbow-hose with a one piece hose? If yes, what type, diameter and length?