• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Beans

Guy Stevens

BarBQue Beans:

We have several, but this is one we especially like in the pressure cooker. Adding the Tomato Sauce AFTER the beans are cooked will let the beans get soft. If you add it first, the beans and the tomato sauce will have a chemical reaction and the beans will never get soft. (Protein Reaction, let me know if you want more of the science of cooking than that).

1 1/2 - 2 Cups Dried Beans. (Any that you would like, Navy and Lima's both work well, or well together.)
1 Jalapeno or serrano seeded and chopped
2 Cloves Garlic Minced
1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
1/2 Cup Chopped Sweet pepper
1 TBS or more of hot sauce of your choice
1 Bay Leaf
1 tsp basil dried
2 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Cumin
1/3 Cup Vinegar
3 TBS Brown sugar
1 Cup fresh water
1/4 Cup Molasses
1 Tomato Pealed Chopped
1 10 oz can Tomato sauce

Saute Garlic, Sweet Pepper, Hot Pepper, and Onion in bottom of pressure cooker until onion is soft, stir in hot sauce, Bay Leaf, basil, Black Pepper, Cumin, Vinegar, Brown Sugar, and 1 cup water and beans, Cook 20-30 Minutes at high pressure. Release steam using quick release method. Add Tomato, tomato sauce, and molasses, cook for an additional 10 minutes at high pressure.

If you want your beans even more tender, hold back the vinagar and add with the tomato products at the end.

Or for a little easier offshore victles just saute everything but the beans, throw in the water and beans and cook on high pressure for 30-40 minutes. The beans will be a bit tougher, with some tooth to them, but the dish is still very good.

The Cuisineart pans were made for cuisineart for quite a while by another company and rebranded. Cuisineart quit this a while back, and I have only seen them since with the Magma. They are a good second choice if you have to have the tight storage system they provide. Sharing one or two lids, and the strange handles drives me crazy, but they are good cruising gear if you galley storage is severly limited. You don't even want to know what we have aboard for pans, mostly full sized Cuisineart, and a bit of cast iron. 11 Non nesting pans not counting the popcorn popper. (Note however that we do liveaboard, and did cruise over 40K miles cooking with all these pans.)

In any case get pans with thick sandwich construction bottoms. This makes the high heat, small area burners which are on boat stoves cook a lot better. (Ok all stoves, but we are on a cruising thread, not a cooking show.) If you have to have inferior pans, (why life is too short to eat badly...), then make sure that you get a heat diffuser, available at REI or your better cooking or camping stores. The diffuser can come in handy for simmering things on tricky boat stoves that don't want to go low enough even if you have good pans, so you should have one anyway.

I could go on for days about cooking and gear, but I will stop now and send this on.

May you be voted a "Good Feeder"
Bon Apetite

Guy
:)