• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1985 E30+ fuel tank measurements.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Does anyone have all the dimensions of the 1985 E30+ fuel tank? (Were they the same on all year models?) It looks like we are going to have to replace ours. I spoke to Berry Sheet Metal in Costa Mesa about a replacement. He thinks he has the original plans for the tank but will have to check. Since the fabrication will take about 10 days I would rather not have to remove my current tank, measure it, then wait 10 days for the new one. (But I also don't want a tank fabricated that won't fit!) The boat is coming out for painting soon and I want to do all this at the same time in as short a time as possible.

Berry estimates about $375 for the new tank.
If I can get the tank dimensions I also want to get a quote from www.floridamarinetanks.com

WhiteNoise

Member III
Measure twice, cut once ... so to say

I had taken it out recently and the dimensions are not terribly straightforward. There are about 4 flat sections on the bottom and therefore 4 angles. At least that's what I had. It really was fairly easy to remove. I would bite the bullet, take it out, and be sure you give the right dimensions for the new tank.

FYI, I pumped mine out with a Jabsco hand pump designed for fuel and into a jerry can. You can dump the old diesel fuel in a tank for a home oil burner ... Just in case you weren't sure what to do with the old diesel.

Good luck!:egrin:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I received a fax from Berry Sheet Metal of a tank drawing, but I'm not sure if it is the correct one. The quality of the drawing is not great and I am trying to clean it up to post here. I would like to get your opinion if it looks the same as your tank.

Do you recall if the tank was symmetrical or asymmetrical relative to the centerline?

I'll post the drawing as soon as I finish it.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I cleaned up the drawing the best I could and have attached it here.

Attachments

• E30_Tank_Drawing_1.pdf
    34.3 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Yeah, it's pretty unique. I'm going to try and see, without removing it, if the one in the boat is the same shape. Would be nice to be able to order the new tank prior to pulling the old one out...

tenders

Innocent Bystander
For a couple of weeks you could probably splice that tank's vent line and pickup onto a small portable tank--or jury-rig a portable tank so it stays outside the boat, which is probably a safer alternative.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Made a few measurements on the existing tank where it was accessible and they seem to match up to the drawing. The only thing the drawing doesn't indicate is the exact location of the pickup and return fittings and the fuel gauge sensor. (The sensor as indicated on the drawing is much closer to the edge of the tank than the actual location of the sensor on my tank.) The width of the back of the tank is also not indicated on the drawing but I estimated it to be 14.5" based on the scale of the drawing.

Without pulling out the current tank, I'm about 95% sure this tank would be an exact drop-in replacement.

If anyone has any other experience with this tank or with Berry Sheet Metal or any comments I would appreciate hearing them.

I am particularly interested in knowing how the tank is attached to its supports. I'm wondering if it is just screwed or bolted down or if there is any fiberglassing involved.

Last edited: