• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

We had a great weekend sailing

treilley

Sustaining Partner
We had a great weekend sailing. We went to 2 beautiful spots in Casco Bay(the gosslings and Jewell I.) and we got to sit back and enjoy all the hard work we did this winter.

Here is a photo of the new galley faucet and sink. The original was too small for a dinner plate to sit flat and the cuppord behind had a drop down door leading to the trash bin. I also fabricated the new door to match the others in the galley.

We stripped 20 years of lemon oil, bleached and recoated with Varethane.
We installed all new Lewmar hatches.

We also replaced the orginal hot water heater with an Isotherm, Installed a larger bowl on the potty, cleaned and refinished the heat exchanger, stripped exterior teak(ready for some honey teak) and polished the cabin top and topsides.

Attachments

• faucet.jpg
    faucet.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 67
  • galley.jpg
    galley.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 71
  • hatch.jpg
    hatch.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 77
  • veneer.jpg
    veneer.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 71
  • head.jpg
    head.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Here are the results of the polishing

The cabin top photo is hard to see but check out the reflection under the hand rail.

Attachments

• polish1.jpg
    polish1.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 72
  • polish.jpg
    polish.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 70

dpddj

Member I
Must have just missed you.

It was a great weekend on Casco Bay, especially Saturday, Could you believe all the sailboats out? I had to laugh - most of the powerboats were tied up somewhere. probably wishing they had sail power.

My wife is a wimpy sailor so I had to put in a single reef and keep the jib in a tad, but she thanked me later and said it made it enjoyable. Not that it was that windy for my daughter and her fiance (both live in Rochester, NY) and me, but hey ....

I also have put in a lot of work this spring. Bought the 1989 28'er last July in need of a lot of work. Still a lot to do. The most time consuming was replacing the sieve-like Lewmar closed portlights. Of course, the aft ports are no longer available nor are gaskets. So I partially closed in the aft opening and put in 4L and 4R Lewmars to match the fwd ones. After gel repair and all that, they turned out okay.

I wish I had the patience to undertake what you have - it looks fantastic!

See you on the water and at the Corousel in July?

Attachments

• aft portlight.jpg
    aft portlight.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 54

Steve

Member III
treilley

Very nice work on the interior, love the sliders to accommodate the faucet. I can imagine the man-hours. What interior varnish type did you use? Was it a semi or gloss?

Steve
E35-3 #159

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Steve. I used Varethane oil based poly semi gloss. I would like to apply one more coat but will not get to that until the end of the season.

Chris A.

Member III
Tim and dpddj,

We missed you too- and wasn't it a good breeze! Here's a (admittedly not maintenance oriented) shot from the Goslings... it was our first time overnight there on Sunday.

Tim- she looks great! Can't wait to get on board next week!

Cheers!

Attachments

• Goslings.jpg
    Goslings.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

WBurgner

Member III
Sink Source?

Tim,
Do you have the ordering information for the sink you used? I have the same trouble you have had with the double sink sections being too small. Also, can you provide details on the sliding door conversion for the trash pass through?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Bill, I used the Elkay LFR1717 that I ordered through AJMadison. I would not recommend them though. They told me the sink was in stock and then I waited 3 1/2 weeks for it. They also sent me a wrong grate which they wanted me to return at my cost and I refused. This sink is a good replacement for the E35 which has a single bowl sink. You may be bale to get a larger or deeper model for the 38.

The new cabinet was easy. I cut the opening bigger by 2 inches on the bottom, built a frame around it on the inside and then used the same slider tracks you find on the other cabinets. I have spare if you are thinking of doing this. the doors are simply 1/2" teak plywood with 1/2" banding on the vertical edges. Again, same as the other doors in the boat. I used a forstner bit to cut out the opening for teh fingle plugs which are available online(I forget the source but could come up with it if you need it) The exterior frame I built using some teak I have. I cut it to fit the opening and then routed the round edge to match the other trim.

Feel free to contact me directly for more info Bill.