• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hull Identification/Sail Number

CaptDan

Member III
Does anyone know how to determine the sail number from HIN? :egrin:

Here's an example off my boat:

ERY35485M77B

The hull number follows the first five characters - {Ericson Yachts 35} #485
That's the number that should be on the main sail.

For what it's worth, 'M77B' means the hull was manufactured in February '77.

This was the HIN format Ericson used to around the early 80s.

Hope that helps.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
What Dan said. Here's another example.

Often the sail number is the hull number. Search for hull number or HIN on this site (see the Search link?) and you'll probably find some threads that will help. Or, post your HIN and someone will probably decode it for you.

For example - my boat was the 20th E38 built, thus hull #20. (My sail number happens to be 20.) My HIN is ERY38X20M80K.

Good luck!

jamescio

Member II
Hull #

So here is my Hull Number:
ERY30569M82F

ERY=Manufacturer
569=Sail #
M=?
82=Year Built
F=Month Built

I am having some modifications made to my Mainsail which did not have the Ericson insignia or the sail number...So I just wanted to be sure. As always the Ericson owners are the BEST!:egrin:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Sort of....

The actual reason for sail numbrs ius to identify specific boats when they are racing-there is no formal connection between sail # and hull#.

So while it is perfectly fine to use part of your hull ID as your sail #, this is not "recognized" by any formal authority-and as such is just a personal touch (like having a bobblehead on your dashoard).

Sail numbers are assigned by US Sailing, but do not have any tie to hull #.

If you decided you want to use the sail number 525, for example (becuse this is your hull #), you can. But if you sign up to race and soemone else has been assigned the same number by US Sailing, you will be the one who as the change-

Make sense? It is early and I am out of the US this week. let me know if this is not clear.

Cheers,
S

CaptDan

Member III
The actual reason for sail numbrs ius to identify specific boats when they are racing-there is no formal connection between sail # and hull#.

Ah, yes, I forgot to mention that. :rolleyes:

If you're not planning to race and want to display a number, the hull number is the appropriate - and usual - suspect. But a previously claimed duplicate in a sailing contest means you'll be afixing different digit(s).

Years ago, I got an older mains'l from the owner of a sistership to my first boat. Since we both participated in the same races - and the kind 'donor's' number was previously registered - I had to change mine to the one issued by the race commitee.:)

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

davidisrael

vin # or hull # or exact name and model of the boat ?????

dose anyone knows where to find ON the BOAT the
vin # ?
or hull #?
or exact name and model of the boat?

idid buy the boat from an auction / lien sale and this boat came without any original ducs

i was told it may be 1972 ericson 35' but no model # or name

thanks for your help

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
dose anyone knows where to find ON the BOAT the
vin # ?
or hull #?
or exact name and model of the boat?

idid buy the boat from an auction / lien sale and this boat came without any original ducs

i was told it may be 1972 ericson 35' but no model # or name

thanks for your help

The HIN may be/should be on the title that you received, altho (the fall of) 1972 is said to be the initial year that an HIN was required. Keep a firm grip on your bill of sale and new title. :rolleyes:
If it is on your hull, look anywhere on the transom, especially along the upper part.

If you look below this thread, you will see other referenced threads about the HIN (hull identification number). Your actual hull number is likely written on parts of your interior woodwork. Ours is written on the bottom of the access panels on our cabin sole... likely to help the EY cabinet shop keep tract of parts when they were constructing the boat.
If the boat came with an original main sail, it may also have the hull number on it.
Check your state vessel registration records also. (We can look up boats on-line here in Oregon.)

Going by the year, if your boat is a "35" it should be referred to as an Ericson 35 Mk 2 (or an E-35-2).

Last edited: