• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What boat did you learn on???

JPS27

Member III
I learned on a Mercury in downeast Maine where my father's side of the family is from (dating back to the late 1700s). I always just told people I learned on Mercuries...little keel boats. This thread caused me to do some research. They are built by Cape Cod Shipbuilding. And I was happy to realize that I actually now know much more about the specs on that boat than I would have just 3 years ago. But the experience planted an interest that was always there, just never had much opportunity to follow through. After decades of only occasionally sailing dinghies, and at the age of 50, I bought my first sailboat, an E27. And this site has made the learning curve of all related matters manageable. (I tried to post a pic but accidentally grabbed the wrong pic, will try to update later).

PDX

Member III
Power - 16' Glasspar Avalon outboard owned by my parents starting in 1961. I was either 8 or 9. Extensive amount of time running that thing around while growing up because my dad didn't like doing it and I was the oldest.

Sail - El Toro owned by friends of my parents. They allowed their daughter and I to take it out unsupervised. We managed to get into trouble with it from time to time including breaking the mast once. Lido owned by other friends. Never got to sail that one unsupervised. Very nice little boat. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend one as a trainer.

I spent a lot of time on the water through the 1960s. Then underwent an extended hiatus before getting interested in sailing again the late 2000s. Huge transition between those little boats and the Ericson. On a certain level, sailing is sailing. And I'm glad I had that early sailing experience. But the learning curve into bigger boat sailing has been really steep for me (and Columbia River sailing is way more challenging than the high mountain lake sailing I used to do).

Slick470

Member III
Learned on sunfish and clones in the Boy Scouts. In junior high, my dad bought a MacGregor 22 for the family to use after going sailing and then racing with a co-worker after work. My family enjoyed the Mac but I was the one that took to it. Lived on that boat most weekends during the summer in college while sailing it with friends. Learned racing on a Catalina 25 down the dock. When I moved east after college, one of the friends I sailed with on the weekends bought the Mac and several years later sold it to the other friend who sailed with us. He still sails it in the Ozarks with his young family.

After taking a few years off of sailing I bought a racing dinghy a Laser 2 which my wife, then girlfriend raced and sailed locally. About the same time both of us started crewing on keelboats on the Chesapeake Bay. Then in 2010 bought our Ericson built Olson 911. Once our daughter was born, we sold the Laser 2 to some racing friends.

Mark Roberts

E34-200 Kingston, Ontario
About 40 years ago our family was camping in Florida and we went out on their campsite pond on a fiberglass platform that had a sail attached to it. We made it over and back somehow! We got hooked and came home and my father bought a Sunflower and learned to sail on Lake Ontario in that. Next year we bought a 19 foot Sandpiper and it was enormous with a cabin and all. In that same summer we upgraded to an Aquarius 23 and then in the fall a Mirage 25. 2 footitist took hole and eventually lead to the jewel, the Ericson 34-200.

Navman

Member III
16' hobie cat. Then an old Snipe with a wooden mast and boom...WOW! What a white knuckle sailor. Sailed it in Barnegat bay NJ. I made a custom 4' solid steel centerboard which weighed about 125lbs. so I could sail her in the winter, with less chance of flipping her. Crazy days sailing in snow and spooking up flocks of Snow Geese and Scaup. Ahhh youth and an adventurous spirit do make for fond memories.

Mike Davis

Member I
What Boat

Started on a home built Sabot on the Gorge (Victoria B.C.) when I was 9. After a short time it was Mark 3 and Mark 4 service dinghys at RCNSA ( now CFSA Esquimalt ) then Sailorettes until Dad built one of the early Thunderbirds ( #55 ). Currently we sail an Ericson 28+ from Saturna Island BC

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Learned on a clinker built 14 ft. Peterburough at RCSC camp Ruttan Ontario I still have my 1948 sailing certificate and I belonged to RCSCC John Travis Cornwall VC
in Winnipeg Manitoba.(Some of you may want to look up the history of this VC winner). I owned and raced a Shark 24 , Chas Moy #203
Chas A Pash Ericson 30+ Eden cruised and raced her now for over 20 years in our Gulf Island and the Yankee San Juanes. :) Egrin:love this boat)

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
A Sears and Roebuck 10 foot Styrofoam dingy. Quite a vessel. My dad, being a carpenter, built wood decks for the interior.

KTROBI_VALHALLA

Member II
Back then it was a 1966 O'Day Rhodes 19 and my teacher was my dad. We sailed off the waters of Yarmouth, MA and moored on the Bass River. Today, its the Ericson 38 200 on the Puget Sound........and I am still learning.

Last edited: