• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What boat did you learn on???

jkm

Member III
Thought it might be fun to inquire about our first learning boat.

What size, kind and location!!!!!

Turnabout, 11ft plywood at Falmouth Foreside Maine.

John

Mort Fligelman

Member III
What Boat did you learn on?

Been over 50 years.....still don't know if I really learned...every day is a new adventure...

Weasel Dingy.....12 Ft LOA....6 Ft Beam......Gaff rigged Catboat....90 Sq ft of Sail.......

THAT.....was an adventure:egrin:

sleather

Sustaining Member
One small step........

Crewed on an old wooden 28' E Scow in 1971 and after 2 races had to get..........

M16....baby version of the E.....tested "both" of our limits here on Lake Mendota for 2 years.......then bought a Cal 21 and learned "something" about BIG water.

http://www.ilya.org/content/view/34/45/

Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
In the Youth

I was introduced to sailing on Butterfly and a Starcraft Upstart (Flying Scot knock off). My Dads friend had an Ericson 39' in Fish Creek, WI. We spent many of days on this boat sailing the bay and Northern Michigan. Sailing on the Ericson 39' is the reason I own an Ericson. When it was time that I wanted to buy a boat, I did'nt even look at other boats. I was 100% set on buying an Ericson. I started out looking and wanting a 27', but realized the versatility of the E25 cb.

I got really lucky, there was one right in my neck of the woods that was begging to be loved! I did'nt realize the treasure that I blindly purchased. It turned out I was to be the 3rd owner. My guess is that the original owner really cared for this boat and the second owner just plain did'nt use it. All I had to do was some TLC and bring her into the 21st century.

I believe whether it's an Ericson or a scow, any boat I have ever been on, they all teach me something interesting and new. I actually have learned alot from boats that I have raced virtually on various websites.

Last edited:

HGSail

Member III
My first was one of the "Classic" Ericson 35 Hull #6, I was five years old then and to this day I still get a chill when I see the old boat as she sails to Catalina.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
I was a power boater (In a previous life). After sailing school my first and only boat has been an Ericson 36.

ChrisS

Member III
We had a Hobie cat at Tahoe when I was a kid, and then as a ten-year-old, I convinced my father to buy a Laser--I paid him back half the price by mowing lawns in the neighborhood for the next couple of years, and sailed it in San Pablo Bay and Tahoe.

Chris A.

Member III
Sunfish on Barnegat Bay, NJ. Around 8 years old. I had been on boats since birth (parents used to race with me in a backpack) but being "Captain" of my own small boat- that's where I really learned the fundamentals.

Great memories...

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Earliest memories are holding onto the mast of Dad's homebuilt catamaran sailing the West and South coasts of Barbados. Once I was 6 they started me in Mirror dinghys, 3 races a day all summer. Then Sunfish, Hobie 14 and 16's, Lightnings, and lots of other homebuilt stuff. Fell in love with large multis sailing on a 50ft tri. Love sailing and any other activity on the water. RT

DevinWalker

Inactive Member
A friend of mine said, "I know someone we can sail with if you want to try." We ended up on a 1975 San Juan '27 . . . that was a decade ago, and now I find myself a boat owner (E27) and things are MUCH different!! Can't just get on, trim sails and get off any more. As everyone on here knows . . . there are a few more "details" in being an owner :egrin:

chasandjudy

chas and judy
what boat did you learn on ???

A friend of mine said, "I know someone we can sail with if you want to try." We ended up on a 1975 San Juan '27 . . . that was a decade ago, and now I find myself a boat owner (E27) and things are MUCH different!! Can't just get on, trim sails and get off any more. As everyone on here knows . . . there are a few more "details" in being an owner :egrin:

First boat Royal Canadian Sea Cadets 1948- 16 ft Peterbough Camp Ruttan (near Kenora Ontaria / then 27 ft Whalers , HMSC Oriol , 27 Sailoretts then I owned a Shark 24 for about 30 years a C+C 27 for two I now have God's
old Ericson, a 30+ for the last twenty years and we (Judy and I) adore her

Chas and Judy 1986 e 30+ EDEN sail #720

Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
A Capri 25 in a sailing club. It was a good little boat in the bay, but by the time we finished our class we were itching to get out in the open water.:egrin:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
First was my Dad's 16' Tiburon on Lake Shasta in Northern California. I must have been about 8 or 9 years old.

Second was Dad's Islander 33 flush deck. Brand new in 1966. Sailed the Puget Sound, Vancouver and San Juan Islands until about 1971. Raced our dinghy, a 10' Tadpole, made by Clark Boats, with the Bremerton Yacht Club when I was in Grade School and Jr. High.

Third was Dad's 1976 Bayfield 25 on Puget Sound, Even joined him in Alaska when he single handed her up there in 1992.

Finally bought my first own boat in 2000. 1975 MacGregor Venture 22'. Sailed several times to the Channel Islands.

I decided very quickly that it was too tender for those adventures and bought my 1973 E-27 in 2002.

I don't foresee needing anything better but I always dream about finding a E-36C.

Last edited:

Mike.Gritten

Member III
I always dreamed of sailing as a kid but never got around to actually doing it until I was living/working in the SF Bay area in 1997. A friend from work invited me to crew on his Cal 28 during a regatta out of the Tiburon Yacht Club. I went out and "pulled some strings" and loved it. I crewed all season on that boat and had tons of offers to crew on "big" boats during the weekday evenings. I was hooked.
After we had moved back to Calgary, in Canada, I signed up for some lessons. My wife and I completed many of the CYA standards aboard the school's Catalina 22 MkII and 28 MkII. I loved the sailing school concept and bought into the company as a partner. We chartered several times in the Gulf Islands and decided to move to Vancouver to take advantage of the local sailing and try living aboard. We found Papillon, our E35 MkII, at a local broker and move aboard in July of 2003. We haven't looked back.
Our new Quantum main should be here in about 3 weeks ;)

Lew Decker

Member III
11' Penguin that I painted daylight orange and then taught myself to sail in Glorietta Bay. Never did capsize but I never kept up with the local Penguin fleet, either. I bought a Coronado 25 and sailed that for a year, and sometimes I think I was happiest just bobbing along offshore in that terrific little boat. I built the Cross 40 "Sun Flower" after that and took off for parts unknown. After sailing around the Caribbean for a few years I hit a reef off Honduras and lost everything. I think I had $6 in my wallet.

Fast forward 28 years...I spent a meager fortune on an Ericson 39B that I loved from Day One, but the fortune dwindled to nothing. Now I have to sell out. Will there be another boat in my future? I learned a few lessons along the way. The only boat I will ever own again is one I can absolutely afford. I've never had one:egrin:.

Skip Jim

Member II
My family vacationed in Newport Beach Calif. most summers and I loved watching the sailboats in the bay. I couldn't figure out how they could go both directions when the wind only went one direction. When I was 12, I saved enough for a one hour lesson ($3.50 for the lesson and $3.50 for a 14 ft. glass sloop) and sailed alone, (or with someone if I could get anyone to go with me ) the rest of the summer every time I had $3.50. I made a lot of mistakes, but always got back to the dock. After I learned on the 14 ft boats, I rented Victory 21 boats. I have been sailing for 45 years and have enjoyed every sailing day.

Jim

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I was forced to take sailing lessons at Harbortown on Hilton Head one summer - because I was underfoot and whining... I was transformed the first day, and it's never stopped since...

Then I got a Hobie 16 that I sailed until college, when I crewed and sailed with friends on bigger boats.

Then I crewed more and eventually got my E35-3.....

Now I'm back to crewing.... :esad:

//sse