• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-25 rigging question

mstone

Here's question for all you smaller Ericson owners . I have a 73 E-25 with the swing keel and the mast pivots down from the cabintop fitting for trailering. There is a small fitting that in normal operation sets the position of the boom in the track of the mast. This consists of a slug that slides up and down in the slot with a very tiny threaded extension with a brass gnurled nut to tension and hold this fitting in place. Well, imagine my surprise, when in the mast lowering process this fall, the little sucker let go, at a critical point of balance. No lives were lost and with the use of a spare halyard, order was restored. Question is ; if this is indeed a stock item, how could such a flimsy and lightweight piece of hardware be placed at such a critical point? Q#2 Does any of you have access to a stronger and more reliable solution? Your thoughts on this would be very appreciated. Also, if any of you have gone through this nightmare I'd love to hear your tales and comments. thanks guys and keep up the good work. Mike

Varleys

I also experienced a "suprise" mid-way in dropping our mast this winter. It turns out that the rig i thought up to replace the missing one for raising and lowering the mast didn't quite work out on all points of the drop. By the way, West Marine sells some pretty substantial stops to screw into the sail slot.

I have a better idea now of what a proper rig will look like for raising and lowing the mast. But I wondered if anyone out there has a proper one they wouldn't mind giving me the dimensions on.

I downloaded the instructions but can't make out the rig fro the pictures.

Thanks,
Steve