• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Centerboard Design

Brodie

I just purchased a Ericson 25 centerboard, and noticed that the fiberglass on the centerboard is cracked. The steel underneath is starting to spread, and I think it is time to replace it. I don't know if it is stuck since it is sitting on a trailer, and the boat hasn't been used in about four years. I'm considering building an aluminum centerboard. Does the centerboard have to be as wide as the old one? My basic idea was to make one out of 1" thick aluminum. I would than use a heavy wall aluminum tubing as a spacer to make it the width of the slot. It would be one solid piece of tubing that is tig welding through the centerboard. I would round the front edge and taper the back edge with a vertical machining center. I would love to hear any other suggestions, or experiences that you have had repairing or fixing centerboards.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Centerboard

Brodie- Contact me off line at rhessenius at new dot rr dot com

I can really help you with some board issues. I just repaired my board that was in same disrepair as yours.

Brodie,
This has been discussed before here, and you can find the discourse in the archives. Steve Swann had pointed out that Ida-Sailor makes replacements for both the center-board and the rudder (nifty kick-up). The discussion had pointed out that centerboard does not need to be the original 150 pounds. The Ida-Sailor replacement has just enough weight to keep it down (30 pounds added). The specs for this boat denote that the centerboard is not technically a keel, but a foil, and that the boat can be sailed adequatly without it being down, so my guess is that making it slightly different in size, shape - weight probably has only small affects. I have Ida-Sailor parts not installed yet.
- Chris

Steve Swann

Member III
Centerboard Spine for Sale

Brodie,

I replaced my E25 centerboard last year with one from Idasailor. If yours is split, there is little hope that it is salvagable. It needs to be replaced with something - and you have a few options.

I have a stainless steel centerboard spine for sale to save you some time and trouble. You'll still need to fair foam blocks on each side and run your fiberglass laminates to complete it. All the hard work is already done. Write me offline if you are interested. I can have it shipped within a day.

Steve Swann
Boise ID

Brodie

Chris, yes this has sort of been discussed in previous forums, but I'm not just looking to buy a centerboard. I think sometimes that I'm just a sucker for punishment, but I really do enjoy tinkering on things. I work at a machine shop and have access to just about any machine tool known to man. So, I was hoping to make my own. I guess I should have maybe reworded a few things in my initial questions. I'm more interested in the design of the foil, and what makes it work.

Since the centerboard is not a ballast of any kind I'm assuming it is there for stability reasons. I'm assuming that it gives the boat "traction" on the water. Does a foil mainly have sideways pressures? If I remember correctly is the Ida-Sailor replacement foil a high density plastic or foam construction with weight added to the end? Does it have a central steel core like the original or the one that steve has?

Okay, I think I've asked more than enough questions in one post. I'll be really interested in what you guys think!

Stevethesailor

Neutral Balance

I recently had a centerboard replaced but the 35 lbs replacement does not deploy. I had a diver check the centerboard/ foil and he said it is neutral balance situation. I noticed the centerboard was not deploying as I was trying to move my boat back to our slip as she was making leeway with a modest wind. What is the operable weight for a replacement centerboard?

Brodie,
This has been discussed before here, and you can find the discourse in the archives. Steve Swann had pointed out that Ida-Sailor makes replacements for both the center-board and the rudder (nifty kick-up). The discussion had pointed out that centerboard does not need to be the original 150 pounds. The Ida-Sailor replacement has just enough weight to keep it down (30 pounds added). The specs for this boat denote that the centerboard is not technically a keel, but a foil, and that the boat can be sailed adequatly without it being down, so my guess is that making it slightly different in size, shape - weight probably has only small affects. I have Ida-Sailor parts not installed yet.
- Chris

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I recently had a centerboard replaced but the 35 lbs replacement does not deploy. I had a diver check the centerboard/ foil and he said it is neutral balance situation. I noticed the centerboard was not deploying as I was trying to move my boat back to our slip as she was making leeway with a modest wind. What is the operable weight for a replacement centerboard?

Since the interior of the CB fin is likely hi-density foam, that product already has a certain amount of positive buoyancy. Perhaps it will take another 30 or 40# of lead inserted into the board to make it more negative-bouyant.
That CB looks like a fairly "large" fin to me, so it might take XX amount of lead to make it really sink. This requirement will likely increase some with forward motion of the boat through the water.

An aside: is there a lock to hold it down once it is extended?

Regards,
Loren

davisr

Member III
Steve,

This has happened before. I suspect you used Ida Sailor or whatever it's new incarnation is. Just Google around "Ericson 25" and "centerboard." You'll find the thread on this forum where it is discussed. It was a guy down in Jacksonville, FL several years ago. He sent the thing back to Ida Sailor and they corrected the problem. Basically what they sold him was a surfboard - centerboard with no ballast. They obviously do this, because they don't want to scare away customers who would have to pay big bucks for the shipping of a heavy board. Despite what some may say, Ericson obviously designed the board to be heavy for a reason. The board had to counteract both gravity and the flow of water underneath the hull. The original literature repeatedly says that the board weighs 150 lbs. I built and entirely new board using the old lead weights from the original board. I also used 3/16 inch steel in place of the original 1/8 inch steel. Nevertheless, my new board weighs only 125 lbs. Maybe they started out making them 150 lbs in 1973, but scaled them back to 125 or slightly less by 1975, when my boat was built.

Bottom line . . . you should call them up and give them a piece of your mind. This is totally unacceptable, and they should pay in full for all your expenses in addition to correcting the problem.

Roscoe
E25, #226
Oystercatcher

http://www.ericson25.com/2013/01/centerboard-construction-part-1.html

attachment.php

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 301