• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Size matters!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I was looking at some photos last week of some of Bruce Kings larger custom designs and one of the things that struck me(and my wife) is larger boats have these nice household size toilets in them. So I did some research and found that Raritan makes a larger, oval shaped bowl for the PHII. I ordered one last week along with the matching seat.

I would say that with this majestic upgrade, I can truly call my boat a "yacht":egrin:

BTW, Raritan part number 1244W

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Here is a photo of the new bowl next to the old. It appears to extend both forward and back relative to the mounting base.

Attachments

• heads.jpg
    heads.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 107

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Knee comfort

One knee hole or two in the head door? Will you add pads or specially contoured moulding?

ligolaiva38

Member II
Size matters

Size really matters!!!

My two cents: I had a regular head (Wilcox) for almost 10 years then I read the Owner Projects on the EricsonYachts about head and holding tank upgrade by Sean Engle and decided to do what he did.
I didn't use the same head on my 84 E-38 which is actually a better head, but I decided on the Groco K manual head because the exit hose angle to holding tank would fit better with the hose going to my holding tank straighter. I also installed the head at a different angle than the original Wilcox so it pointed straight to the shower parallel with the door and the sink cabinet. The Groco K head is a larger size bowl than what I had with the Wilcox and then I added an oblong toilet seat from Lowes (the smallest oblong toilet seat available) instead of the round one that come with it.

Wow ....what a difference. I am 6'5" and for 10 years didn't fit in the head with the door closed comfortably. Now I easily can close the door and be relaxed, not to mention how good the big toilet bowl is and how well it pumps. My wife hated using the old head on the boat, but put up with it because boating was my passion and obsession. Now she loves the head and enjoys boating much more. With this new head, I just cannot believe I hadn't done it originally the first time I replace my Wilcox. ...What a mistake.

My only problem was the joker valve from Groco wouldn't work right and leaked back when pumping. After replacing several joker valves that the manufactuer replaced, it still kept leaking back out so I replace the joker valve with a red Raritan and for some reason it now works great with lots of sucking power. Pushing the handle horizontally is easier than pushing handles vertically. Also the head is higher and since I am tall it is much more comfortable.
The best price I found was with Defender on the internet.

John
Laiva E-381

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
That is a nice shape, I must say. We have an oblong Kohler (one-piece) we just installed in the master suite of the castle. I think we'll switch out the guest head also, as I am out of patience with the separate tank and leakage problems on these cheapo originals.

Post some pictures, please, John.

Our yacht's current head and pump work really well, and we are able to close the door, so we'll just wait til we win the lottery on this one. Unless Ellen is also dissatisfied ...

Last edited:

Thomas H

Member I
Size Matters

Tim,
After you installed the new throne, did you have any issues with the vanity door and access to the valves.
Thanks, Thomas

Glyn Judson

Speaking of thrones.

All, Years ago wooden toilet seat and lid were more popular aboard than they are today. The reason for their falling from grace was that to have one back then labeled you as a right winger, to the right even of Genghis(sp?) Kahn. Why you might ask, would anyone with a wooden toilet seat be branded so? It's because simply one look in the head told the world that you were a member in good standing of the Birch John Society, that's why. Glyn

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The new bowl is in and aside from some minor adjustments, it fits just fine. The seat goes up without hitting the bulkhead and I am no closer to the door than I was on the old pot.

Glyn Judson

Groco K head safety (no kidding).

John, I too have the same head but with the smaller bow. Regarding that pump handle, it poses a potential serious problem, let me give you an example. Easily 20-25 years ago I read an article in Sail Magazine of a fellow who almost died from using a head with that designed handle. With someone at the wheel, he went below to use the head. The seas were fierce and the boat was tossing. He was about to return to the helm, when still in the head the boat lurched and he fell onto that handle impaling himself right up the butt and managed to burst his large intestines with the handle end at the same time. A US Coast Guard helicopter was dispatched and he was flown to hospital where he was fixed up but not before being told that he almost didn't make it. That was all I needed to read so when I got this head I immediately fashioned a braided loop of 1/8" cordage that's screwed to the bulkhead behind the handle. Now whenever anyone leaves the head, the handle is always secured in that loop, out of harms way. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA