• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

searching members

crznhwy1

Member II
There have been a lot of comments posted recently regarding the search function. I have to put my two cents worth in too. It is frustrating that I can't search on "E27" and get results to browse through.

Also, is there any way to search the list of members by the kind of Ericson they own? I'd like to be able to find out which members own E27s and look at their posts. I'm sure most E27 owners have faced the same issues I have.

Other than that, this site rocks. It has been such a great help to me as a new owner.

Thanks

sleather

Sustaining Member
Go to "Owners & Projects" and check "Owners/Yacht Registry".

IF the owners "screen name" was included in the Owner information section THAT would be a/the solution. You could then follow the posts of the prolific E27 owners by their screen names.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Searches - Owner's Registry

Sorry to be responding to this thread so late...I've been tied down at school, and not paying tons of attention here...

On the Owners Registry vs. Information Exchange - they are separate databases - and in some cases, the owners on the registry do not have accounts on the Information Exchange, etc.

I'm addressing this by adding boat registration fields to the Information Exchange profiles - for boat, model, state, etc - you'll eventually be able to search on these fields as you've requested. Right now, we're straddling two horses in the middle of river (so to speak)... All owners reading this should go to their User Control Panel (small 'UserCP' button, upper left after logging in), and then 'Edit Profile' and down to 'Additional Information' and complete the fields. The old Owner's Registry will eventually have to go away and that info transferred over (a nightmare project).

On the issue of searches - I've lowered the search criteria to one word, however the terms "E27" or "E35", etc have to added with another term (try 'E35-3' and 'head', for instance) to get resulting threads. If you do a search on just 'E27' you will get thousands of threads which would be of little use to you anyhow.

I'm going to address this search issue by creating a search primer at some point soon (hopefully this month - I'm trying to get my thesis stuff straightened out right now) which should help.

//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Also on this...

I've opened a support ticket (with the publisher) on this to ensure that the db is indexed as intended, and will have a primer created that details how one effectively does searches in the db...

:egrin:

//sse

crznhwy1

Member II
Using Google to search Information Exchange

I just figured out a great way to search these forums. I go to the main Information Exchange page then use my Google Toolbar in my browser to enter in "E-27", then select "search this site" for my search options. Google just gave me over 600 hits on E-27 from these forums.

Since I have a project boat with many issues to address, this lets me browse through E-27 postings to see if anyone has experienced some of the same issues.

I should have thought of this much earlier!

Mike

sleather

Sustaining Member
Google?

Mike, Could you please elaborate on the Google function, I have the Google Tool Bar but can't get it to search "this site" alone.:confused:

Sounds like you've got some reading to do!:nerd:

crznhwy1

Member II
Search this site...

I am using the GoogleBar Lite version in Firefox. Next to the text box there is a button that says "search". Right next to the word "search" is a small down arrow. If you click on that arrow, it shows a drop-down menu. Select "search this site" from that menu.

On the standard Google Toolbar I believe there is an icon to the right of the text box that let's you select "search this site" or something similar.

Mike

crznhwy1

Member II
Search this site (correction)

Oops, sorry. The drop-down menu says "site search", not "search this site".

Mike

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Update on Indexing

FYI...

I've gotten some feedback on my query to the publishers of this board about what needs to be done to correct some of the indexing problems on the site. It's a bit involved, so I need to look at it later this week (once things quiet down a little, and tax-day goes past)...

Once I have the chance to do this, I'll let you guys know...

//sse

sleather

Sustaining Member
Google Me

Mike, Gotcha, I had to add the "tool button".

FWIW, In the Google toolbar go to.......Settings.......Options......Buttons......(X)Search Site......Hit OK.

Pretty cool!:egrin: