• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Masthead Anchor Light

cptnordic

I want to replace the anchor light on my 1990 Ericson 38 with an LED. Before I go up the mast does anyone know what bulb is likely to be there so I can buy the right LED replacement before going aloft?

u079721

Contributing Partner
What does it look like?

What does your anchor light look like? The anchor light on my 1989 E-38 was the same as in this picture that Loren posted previously. Is yours the same? Is your Ericson one of the Pacific Seacraft ones, or the last of the originals?

Some else might know of an LED bulb to fit this unit, but I never found one and ended up replaceing the entire unit to be able to mount an LED bulb.

Attachments

• Anchor light.jpg
    Anchor light.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 643
Last edited:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
The one in Steve's post is what was on ours...

Best solution we found was to take up an "Orcagreen" LED anchor light... not rediculously expensive, very durable, allows for reducing the size of wire SIGNIFICANTLY the next time your mast is down, and best of all uses the same amount of electricity all night that the old one did in an hour...

cptnordic

What does your anchor light look like? The anchor light on my 1989 E-38 was the same as in this picture that Loren posted previously. Is yours the same? Is your Ericson one of the Pacific Seacraft ones, or the last of the originals?

Some else might know of an LED bulb to fit this unit, but I never found one and ended up replaceing the entire unit to be able to mount an LED bulb.

Steve, I think my masthead light assembly looks like the picture you sent but I have not had the boat that long and have not been up the mast. LED lights from Mastlight.com thinks they have a bulb that will work but there are bulb options depending on the exisiting fitting. Maybe you are right and I will have to replace the entire assembly. I am far from my boat right now so I can't easily check the fixture.

u079721

Contributing Partner
I'm at work now, but tonight I can check my log at home and give you the part number for the bulb that fits that light. You can then ask them if they have an LED replacement. IIRC the bulb is a festoon type that is a cylinder with contacts on both ends, and there are two of them, which made this a particularly amp hungry light to run!

From the picture on their web site the problem you are going to have is the diameter of the bulb. Again IIRC it is a very tight fit inside that fixture, and I doubt there is room for the larger diameter version of that festoon bulb.

Last edited:

cptnordic

The one in Steve's post is what was on ours...

Best solution we found was to take up an "Orcagreen" LED anchor light... not rediculously expensive, very durable, allows for reducing the size of wire SIGNIFICANTLY the next time your mast is down, and best of all uses the same amount of electricity all night that the old one did in an hour...

Chris, I checked the web site on this and it looks like this is an entire assembly replacement as opposed to just a bulb replacement. Maybe I will get stuck doing that, but hopefulluy not.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Yeah, I did it and have been really happy with it. We went with the LED bulb theory down in the cabin- I am really happy with the ones I put in the reading lights, but will be replacing all the overhead fixtures with LED's (other than in the head) because the festoon bulbs are too blue...

One thing about LED festoons, the ones I could find only shine 1 direction... let me know if you find some that shine more directions since maybe they'll have some that will fit the overheads to replace the ones I currently am using.

thx,
Chris

Ray Rhode

Member III
Just finished trying two of the Ancor LED Festoon bulbs in the overhead lghts and am very disappointed. They do not provide enough light for working in the galley and are not sufficently diffused to use as area lighting. The reading light and chart table LED lights I got from Fisheries Supply made by Dr LED are fantastic. The are a warm light and provide a large enough lighted area to be useful Unfortunately Dr LED does not make a festoon replacement.

Ray Rhode
S/V Journey
E35-III, #189

Gmilburn

Member III
Masthead Light

Hi all,

I have my mast down from my E-29 and took a few pics of the light--I have attached them.

Also, I purchased a replacement LED light--but have yet to install it. I did do quite a bit of research first and settled on this one. Here is the link: http://www.sailcare.com/mast-light.shtml

I hope this helps!

Good Luck,
Gary
1977 E-29 Hull 515
"HydroPhilic"

Attachments

• DSCF2227.jpg
    DSCF2227.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF2228.jpg
    DSCF2228.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 100

u079721

Contributing Partner
If my records are correct, the bulb that fits that fixture is a Perko #71, which I think is only 1 1/8" long.

I just noticed that this is supposed to be a combination masthead and all round light, depending on whether one or both of the bulbs are lit. Why did Ericson use this fixture?

cptnordic

If my records are correct, the bulb that fits that fixture is a Perko #71, which I think is only 1 1/8" long.

I just noticed that this is supposed to be a combination masthead and all round light, depending on whether one or both of the bulbs are lit. Why did Ericson use this fixture?

Steve, thanks for the Perko Model number. If you don't have one do you recall if the prongs are pointed or blunt and whether or not they are opposite each other or at two different levels?

u079721

Contributing Partner
I'm not sure about whether this photo is the exact same bulb, as I'm not sure about it being quite that fat. But this is the general appearance, with pointed ends.

Attachments

• Perko 71.jpg
    Perko 71.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 543

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Perko guesses

My guess is that Ericson bought a gross of these at a time, at a huge OEM discount. They had also put this same light on my '88 model as an all-around anchor light, with both bulbs wired in common. With two filament bulbs it used a lot of amps in a night.

After about 20 years anyone trying to rebulb one of these may find the same deterioration that I did. The lens and all plastic parts were UV damaged and brittle, and the pot metal frame had corrosion around the screws. It mostly fell to pieces when I started removing it from the mast.

Like the old untinned wiring inside the spar and the old lossy coax... at two decades it is best to replace this stuff when you have the spar down.

Loren

cptnordic

Masthead Anchor Light and Cabin LEDs

Yeah, I did it and have been really happy with it. We went with the LED bulb theory down in the cabin- I am really happy with the ones I put in the reading lights, but will be replacing all the overhead fixtures with LED's (other than in the head) because the festoon bulbs are too blue...

One thing about LED festoons, the ones I could find only shine 1 direction... let me know if you find some that shine more directions since maybe they'll have some that will fit the overheads to replace the ones I currently am using.

thx,
Chris

Chris, try Mastlight in South Carolina at 888-217-4449. I think they can help with getting you some multi-directional LED lights

dcoyle

Member III
Gmilburn did you purchase the $59. led light from sailcare to replace the anchor light? I have the same one in your photo and would like to replace it this spring. Did you have to make any modifications to mount it?

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Dan,

I checked with doctorled. Unfortunatley they do not make a replacement LED bulb for the Perco #71, which I believe is my anchor light bulb. They are reportedly working on it and may have one by 2009.

I love their products... but plan on 2009 meaning 2025- I've been waiting for the larger interior dome lights for 2 years now:rolleyes:

Gmilburn

Member III
E29 Masthead LED

dcoyle: Unfortunately, I have not mounted it yet. I took the photos and ordered the light when I took the mast down last fall. Now I have the boat on a trailer and the mast is being supported some 13 feet above the hard--and I have yet to tackle the project (I have bigger worries right now). If the new light does not work in the existing recepticle, I plan on replacing the entire receptical. Sorry I cant be of more help!
Good Luck!
Gary
E-29T (1977)
HydroPhilic