• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Unstepping the Mast on E-38

djsdmiller

We are planning to unstep the mast on our 38 Ericson next week. It appears to me that it simply sets on a step with nothing securing it down at that point. Is that correct? Also, are there any other surprises that I might experience or suggestions that you have? Any help would be appreciated.

Dave Miller

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Heres how it went at my yard:
Loosen all shrouds and secure at mast base, disconnect all wiring to mast. Secure all halyards, etc. to mast with bungees. Remove wire in salon running from cabintop to mast step. Sling mast just below 1st spreaders. Secure two control lines at mast collar height to mast. Remove partners, wedges, etc. Lift mast out, use control lines to keep mast upright and guide as forklift/crane moves mast to storage. My mast just sat on the mast step. No fasteners. RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wire notes

In '88, for our Kenyon spar, Ericson was routing all the mast wiring and associated wind transducer cabling into the boat by boring a hole thru the side of the spar extrusion... just under the cabin roof... and above the fabric headliner.
(i.e. it is completely out of sight)

There should be headliner zippers on either side of the spar to open and check for this.

Yours may be different.

Ours is not secured to the cast aluminum step, either.

Loren

u079721

Contributing Partner
Ah yes, the invisible wires leading to the mast. When I bought my 1989 E38 the PO was not very knowledgeable, and when he had the yard pull the mast one year for storage no one knew about those wires. Result was that they ripped the wires right out of the mast. The repair was very poorly done, and almost looks as if the yard tried to cover it up. Replacing all the mast wires was one of my first tasks as the new owner once I dropped the mast myself.

And as mentioned, there is nothing holding the mast down other than the rigging. But do look out for the coax for the antenna, which usually runs out the base of the mast and through the mast step (which is where most boats also have the rest of the electrical wiring). Our routine was to stop the mast lift after about one foot to allow disconnecting of the coax connector on the antenna coax.

Note that the balance point for the mast on our 38 was about 3 feet above the lower spreaders. If you tie just under the lower spreaders it will work, but it makes the mast a bit top heavy and difficult to handle when you lay it down.

Last edited:

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
I have to agree with Steve on where to put the lifting sling. We put ours just above the steaming light which is about 3 feet above the first set of spreaders. You can keep better control of the mast. When you lay it down be careful of your wind vane and anchor light !!
icon4.gif

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Actually, my memory is defective! When they "slinged" mine, they did it right below the radar..... Not the 1st spreader as I originally stated. Sorry, RT

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I have to agree with Steve on where to put the lifting sling. We put ours just above the steaming light which is about 3 feet above the first set of spreaders. You can keep better control of the mast. When you lay it down be careful of your wind vane and anchor light !!
icon4.gif

ABOVE the steaming light being key... our steaming light went "ker-snap" when they did it below. They bought me a new one, which was nice... but forewarned is forearmed in my book.

Chris

Last edited: