• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wondering Spreaders

missalot

Member II
I have an E29T. It is a double spreader rig. The lower spreaders are becoming a nuisance. After sailing in a good breeze, 15+ knots, for a few hours the spreader tips fall to a lower position on the shrouds. Before I go out again I use a line and a halyard to pull the tips back up so that the spreader base is correctly centered in the mast socket/mount.

I am inclined to put something on the shrouds to keep the tips up, but do not want to do something that may cause problems in the future.

I keep the rig fairly tight so that in the high teens the leeward side shrouds are barely loose.

Any ideas about what is allowing this, or a good solution?

Kyle

CaptDan

Member III
The best way to position tips to shrouds is with a pair of stainless cable u-clamps placed over and under the tip securely fastened to the shrouds. The second best way is to use monel seizing wire. Then cover the tips with spreader boots wrapped with rigging tape.

You don't want your spreaders shifting like that; it's not healthy for your rig.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

missalot

Member II
Thanks Capt Dan - one of my worries about using a U-clamp is that it will cause a hard spot or kink if you will and eventually cause a weak spot.

I have been using seizing wire for a number of years, but they seem to move eventually.

Thoughts?

-Kyle

CaptDan

Member III
I doubt u clamps will cause damage to your shrouds. Annual inspections will help to alleviate fears.

My personal experience: wooden (lighter) spreaders tend to stay put with seizing wire; u clamps work best with aluminum rigs. YMMV.

Also, be sure the spreader bolts are snug, preventing fore and aft movement as well.

Again, though, it's important to maintain the right spreader angle and position on the shrouds. Most riggers I've known tend to agree - uclamps are the best solution.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Also look closely at the inboard attachment to the mast there shouldn't be any play and over time the working down will loosen the mast attachment and wear the bottom of the spreader making them sag as their natural position

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
This is probably a rather basic suggestion, but in the interest of eliminating the simplest solution first - make sure the spreader bisects the angle created by the shroud at the spreader tip. I've seen some folks insist that the spreaders should be parallel to the water. (Not suggesting that you are necessarily one of them.)
While that might be pretty, it doesn't keep the spreaders in line with the compressive force on them. Spreaders should form the same angle with the shroud section above as with the shroud section below (which puts them at a slightly upward angle - outboard end higher than the inboard end).

Last edited: