• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Data Marine Depth Sounder

Shadowfax

Member III
I have a Data Marine depth sounder that I'm pretty sure the transducer needs replacing. I'm told that removal of the transducer is from the inside out, the opposite of the speed transducer. Apparently there is no sleeve involved as in the speed transducer, so we are probably talking destruction of the transducer in removing it as I'm sure it is attached with 5200, or equal, to the hull.
Has anyone removed one of these? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks

Annapolis E-27

Member III
Paul,

When I removed my datamarine depth transducer from my E-27 it was definitely a destructive removal. :mad: The transducer could not be saved.

Last edited:

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
Have you called the folks at Datamarine? They can tell you, with certainty, if the problem lies with the transducer. If the instrument is showing any lifa at all, it may not be a transducer issue. I found them to be very helpful.

Steve Murray
E35 III 222
Charlottetown PEI

Shadowfax

Member III
Yes, I started out by calling Datamaire. They rebuilt the gauge last year and they are the ones that think the transducer is bad. Out it comes! I was just wondering what to expect from someone that has done it, i.e. are we talking Sawalls, hammer and chisel or light use of a putty knife. I have no problem killing it, I just don't want to send 3 hours with a putty knife when I should have been using a hammer.

BTW the replacement transducer comes a sleeve so it will be like replacing the speed transducer in the future.

Annapolis E-27

Member III
Paul,

If I remember right, I used a hammer and chisel to break the outer seal around the flange and then it came out. I replaced it with the one with the sleeve from DMI.

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
You can tell if the transducer is transmitting by turning your AM/FM stereo to a point on the upper end of the AM dial that has no station-only noise.
You should be able to hear the transducer clicking.

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
I also have a vintage mid 80's Data Marine depth sounder, it's not working either.

I have a Garmin 172C chartplotter that I would like the new depth sounder to interface with.

Is there any real difference between NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000 that I should worry about when shopping for a new depth sounder?

Maybe this should be a new thread, dunno...

Thanks,

Jason