• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Masthead light

saltbox

Ericson 34 Owner
I have to troubleshoot a mast head light on a 1987 E34. My partner is willing to run me up the mast to inspect the bulb but I thought it would be cool to have the correct bulb with me when I go up, in case it really is a bad bulb. Is there anyone out there who has replaced a masthead bulb and could tell me what sort of bulb I can expect or what the part number might be? A standard tailight bulb perhaps?

J

EGregerson

Member III
light

is the masthead light similar to the one in the picture? (Perko 120 BMD) I don't have the bulb number(s); there are 2. When i changed mine, the contacts were so corroded, I just replaced the entire assembly.

Attachments

• 700173.jpg
    700173.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 667

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
On my 87 E-34 the nav lights are Aqua Signal and the festoon bulb is #90200.

I've had more problems with contact corrosion than burn outs.

paul culver

Member III
If I had to guess and the lighting was all original equipment I would probably buy the same bulb used in the stern light and hope for the best.

--Paul

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Which Light

Masthead Light (i.e. anchor light) or Combo Steaming/foredeck Light?
:confused:

Both are being discussed in this thread. Not the same item(s) at all.

When we replaced the mast wiring in our '88, a few seasons ago, our masthead Anchor light was a two-bulb Perko, wired for anchor light use by the factory (picture below). This was a dated design and used a lot of power. The fixture fell apart when I tried to take the lenses off... :mad:
I replaced it with an LED anchor light.
Our factory combo light on the front of the mast was similar to the Steaming/Foredeck unit pictured above. It was working, but too deteriorated to reuse, and was replaced with a new Aquasignal combo unit.

I just want to be sure that everyone is talking about the same thing.
Thanks,
Loren

Attachments

• 160299F-p.jpg
    160299F-p.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
Very confusing!

Loren is right to point out the difference. BUT, the confusion can lie (lay?) in the fact that the "legal" (Coast Guard) name for what most of us call the "steaming" light is actually "masthead".

Rule 21 - Definitions
"Masthead light" means a white light placed over the fore and aft centerline of the vessel showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 225 degrees and so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on either side of the vessel, except that on a vessel of less than 12 meters in length the masthead light shall be placed as nearly as practicable to the fore and aft centerline of the vessel. [Inld]

Which explains why the steaming light will frequently be labelled on an electrical panel as "masthead", which is separate from and different from the "anchor" light.

Clear as mud?

saltbox

Ericson 34 Owner
Masthead.......anchor light

Thanks for the feedback. The light in question is the anchor light at the top of the mast, and I think I will try to find an LED fixture from the local marine supply place which should last longer and draw fewer amps.

James & Tracy

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Even better than the fewer amps led versions is an anchor light with a photocell that turns itself off, better yet get both.

Is there one that re-charges itself (other than taking it from the house bank) - like the LED lights you see for walkways, etc?

//sse

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I replaced our old perko (like Loren's-- that would be my guess as to what's up there for that age range) with the orcagreen masthead with the photocell. It draws less than an amp all night long- really a great upgrade if you are looking to eliminate trips up the mast and battery usage (the perko burns about an amp an hour vs. not quite an amp all night for the LED). Also, check out www.doctorled.com for just replacing bulbs- easy and relatively inexpensive.
Chris

CaptDan

Member III
Clear as mud?[/QUOTE]

I love this topic, because it's been on the Top 10 Most Often Gotten Wrong Questions on the USCG Masters Rules of the Road Quiz.:rolleyes:

You're absolutely right: a 'steaming' or 'masthead' light is exactly as you describe - a white light at, or near the top of a boat's highest point, as close as practical to the vessel's centerline, showing an unbroken arc at 225 degrees from the boat's bow.

Why 225 degrees? Because the white Stern Light (135 degrees) makes up the remainder of the 'circle' - which according to my calculator equals 360 degrees. Hence, you use your 'steaming light' in tandem with your 'stern light.'

But - wait - there's more....

If you operate a motor vessel (or sailing auxiliary with engine ON and ENGAGED), and you happen to be 12 meters or less in LOA, guess what? You can use your so-called ANCHOR LIGHT (aka: All Around White Light) INSTEAD of the steaming light, so long as you remember to turn your STERN LIGHT off too.

Clear as a Seattle sky in winter? Methinx 'knot.':egrin:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

chaco

Member III
Old Anchor Light

My guess is that your existing Anchor Light is an AquaSignal - Series 40
Model 40400-7. This takes a standard SeaFit 810800 or WM 4810826
10W DoubleContact-Index bulb. The LED replacement bulbs look like a cool
option, which I will NOT purchase from WM and get online.
Can also be used as a "Beer in the Icebox" signal at the Dock :nerd:

Safe Anchoring :egrin: :egrin:

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Is there one that re-charges itself (other than taking it from the house bank) - like the LED lights you see for walkways, etc?

//sse

Try:

www.svhotwire com

The last time I spoke to them (a while back) they told me they were about to launch one onto the market. They also had a combined tricolour and anchor LED that used reverse polarity to switch between them, so you could add a tricolour without running an extra wire up the mast, but it was expensive.

My original anchor light was a perko. I got quite angry with their customer service for changing the spacing of the holes on the replacement lights, necessitating redrilling into the mast (and have not bought anything perko since). I think some other makes, including aqua signal, have retrofittable LED bulbs with photo sensors making swapping them out easy.

Gareth
Freyja E35 £241 1972

chaco

Member III
LED Suppliers...GET REAL !

Great site Gareth
When are these LED Manufacturers going to get REAL about the pricing on
Replacement Bulbs and Fixtures. We are 5 years in to LED innovation and the
prices are still ridiculous :confused:
Guess we will have to wait for the R&D to get paid off like any other
Electronic Gadget :cool:

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I'm dredging this thread up from a couple years ago to see if there are any updates for a reasonably priced LED anchor light. What have people used recently for this?

Thanks,

Doug

saltbox

Ericson 34 Owner
I still haven't found a reasonably priced masthead light. We ended up going with old technology. Maybe someday...:esad:

davisr

Member III
Not a bad price for an LED anchor light. It does seem a little odd, though, that they sell LED retrofit kits for incandescent nav lights by Aqua Signal. I've read discussions on other forums about the use of lights that are not "Coast Guard Approved." Some have said that all is fine and well until you happen to be the cause of an accident. Then you have some insurance problems. This is just what I've heard. Can't speak from experience.