• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking to Buy 1971 - 32ft for first boat, need opinion

Deweyduck

I have been looking at a ericson 32 - 1971

It seams rather old, but it is in fantastic shape. Never seen salt water, bright work is excelent, suvey is all positive.

Price?

I know all boats are only worth what somebody wants to spend, but what is a 1971 worth?

This boat has plenty of newer sails(numerous head sails, spins, drifter), no top, all guages work, intrior is imaculate, exterior is really clean.

Any ideas?

how does this boat perform, it seams a little light

windjunkee

Member III
Dewey,

I have a 1970 E-32 -- same model. I actually don't find it that light. I think its actually fairly heavy, with a PHRF rating of 180. However, if you want to know about performance, my partner and I race and have won several of the larger races (PHRF overall, 2006 Santa Barbara-King Harbor, 2007 MdR-Puerto Vallarta). My own opinion is that the boat sucks in tight buoy racing but likes to stretch its legs out in longer distance events. We do well in light air compared to other boats. We don't point particularly well, usually struggling to maintain 30-35 degrees apparent close hauled. We've had her up over 12 knots many times, but with the hull shape I'm disinclined to carry a chute in anything over 20 knots.
We paid $8,000 initially, but that was with a broken engine and a few other issues. My best guess is that it is worth somewhere in the range of $16-20,000, but we also have added 5 new winches, hydraulic backstay, new instruments, radar, modified rudder, autopilot. We've also rebuilt the engine, beefed up the sound system, new running rigging, new sails.
We love Voice of Reason. She has been a great boat for us. You'll love it.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Once you get beyond 15 or 20 years... the "worth" is ALL about condition and equipment. In that order.
Two identical-model boats from the early 70's can vary in value by *over* 100%, and perhaps more, and be completely worth every penny of the asking price.

Hmmm.... 1971.... that should mean the the standing rig has been replaced in the last decade, lifelines too, and that within that period ALL the deck fittings have been removed and rebedded. Chainplates ditto, for sure.

How is hull and deck finish? Any friction left in that old non skid? If stored inside for six months of each year, lengthen the replacement time by 1.5, maybe.
Since the ancient sealant around all the deck hardware is equally affected by passage of time as it is exposure, this really should have been done. If not, and water has not gotten into the coring, do this first.

Without a detailed inspection and survey (by someone who knows Ericsons and is a competant shipwright) you just do not know if you are looking at a $8K project or a $25K turnkey sailboat.

Research is needed. And time (yours) and some money (yours, too).

These models DO have an excellent (!) sailing rep. and several of these race and cruise in my area.

Best of luck in your purchase.
Welcome to the Viking family!
:egrin:

Loren

skipper007

Member II
Hey Dewey,
I just (12/07) bought a 1974 E32-2 in San Fran. Has Yanmar Diesel, had new rigging 2 years ago, has 3 year old main, 3 year old jib. No other sails. No fancy electronics. No glamour. Survey indicated "with issues fixed" worth $16k. I've heard San Fran gets a 5-10% premium. Check the cabin roof for splitting at the offset mast support. Major areas to review are bow for wetness, rudder for slop and poorly mounted mechanicals, engine, standing rigging and sails. We got ours for $12k, but completely rebuilt the steering (search wobbly rudder). I'll be happy to give you more info - just let me know.
Skip