• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Need Advice on Varnish Drying

trlebus

Does anyone know of a catalyst or additive to speed up the drying time of varnish?
Have repaired the bulkhead forward of the settee on and it is taking an eternity for the varnish to dry. The first coat was applied 50/50 varnish and thinner as per the instructions and I might be able to apply coat 2 after 3 days or so.

My wife is getting very impatient and desperately needs to go sailing ASAP.

Thanks!

trl
Dagny T
Ericson 35 MKII
Hull 305

Schooner Jet Speed varnish is quick drying. It's for for building up coats, but finish the coats off with just regular Schooner. Regular Schooner has a harder finish and slower drying time. Worked for me.
Morgan Stinemetz

sleather

Sustaining Member
Speed Dry

When using traditional varnishes "dry time" is very dependent on the relative humidity and temperature. I've had good luck w/ an "infrared" heat lamp in a standard parabolic shop light. They look like a "flood" but are clear red. A portable heater & fan may also help! Dehumidifier?

I've relegated tradition varnish to only a few exterior applications. My E23's interior gets oiled and for everything else I use Cabot Harbormaster spray, easier to apply and drys really fast.

Gota love the Admirals attitude!:egrin:

Mindscape

Member III
Japan Drier

There is an additive called Japan Drier that accelerates the dry time of varnish. It does darken the color a little but does help with dry time. Of course other factors like humidty and temp will effect the dry time as well. You can get Japan Drier at most big hardware stores.
I've also used Jet Speed with good luck as well, but at the end you must do some coats of Schooner or something that provides better UV protection.

Last edited:

hodo

Member III
What type/ brand did you use? Years ago I used some on my hard dinghy teak rub rails, did it in the garage, would not set up. Called the manufacturer and found that it needed UV rays from the sun to set it. Took it outside on next clear day, and voila!, it set.
Harold S/V Mischief :devil: Maker

Don Taugher

Member II
varnish drying

In cool weather I have had good results thining with spraying thinner instead of regular thinner.

Don Taugher
38-200 263
Running Free

obiwanrazzy

Member II
I'm not too experienced with varnishing myself, but the PO of my boat went the route of removing everything made of wood from the boat. He did all of the varnishing in his heated garage... Certainly a labor intensive route (especially if you need to build the heated garage first!), but the results were pretty astounding.

Kevin Johnston

Member III
Interior Finish

Matt,
Your interior is awesome looking. Do you know what product was used to make it so shine (high gloss I am sure and numerous coats)? Did the PO spray or brush it on?
Thanks,
KJ

obiwanrazzy

Member II
I'll take a look at the docs on the boat next time I'm down. He kept every receipt, so the varnish is probably there. I know I have a piece of paper that he used to count his coats (minimum of 10!). I can always give him a ring too.. I'll let ya know.

obiwanrazzy

Member II
Well, I couldn't find that receipt (just every other one back to 1977). I did find the note where he counted varnish coats. Looks like I exagerated a little. Most peices he put 7 coats on. I'm thinking any good varnish, if applied in a heated space with multiple coats (sand between coats per the mfg instructions), should give you pretty nice results.

trlebus

Thanks to all who responded to my query.
The varnish used was West Marine's version by Epifanes.
It was resolved by placing a heater and fan down below and having our wonderful live-aboard next door neighbor keep an eye on things. It still took 2 days minimum between coats.

Next time I do a varnish project I'll wait for the Santanas and 10% humidity.

trl