• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking at a $3000 OBO E-30

shawnkelly

an itch only a sailboat can fix
I think the mast was straight, it was probably my cheap camera. I think I'm gonna go back there this weekend and go thru the boat again and hopefully the owner will be there this time. He seemed to think that if I had a kicker, I could take it in the Gulf and sail it wherever I wanted. Maybe I'll tell him that I'll give him 1000 for it if it doesn't sell. Thank you for all the responses, its nice to get different opinions.

Attachments

• PLUS0008.jpg
    PLUS0008.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 75
  • PLUS0019.jpg
    PLUS0019.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 73
  • PLUS0020.jpg
    PLUS0020.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

shawnkelly

change of plans

Okay, after listening to all of your opinions, I've come to this decision. I'm gonna forget about the Ericson(kind-of).

I may tell the owner that if he doesn't find a buyer, he should call me and I'll make him an offer. I can't really see spending over 500 for something thats clearly not going to sail without a huge investment of money and labor.

I'll hold out for something better, but I will consider it later when he realizes what he's got. I guess if I were him, I'd want as much as I could get...knowing that he must have paid alot for it at one time. I know that new mainsail wasn't cheap either. But the boat has practically rotted away from neglect. I still want to save it cause I don't think it deserves this destiny.

As Sean said theres more boats out there and I won't rush on this one. If anyone knows of another project boat near me, I'm all ears. I want to restore something so I can go sailing. Thanks for all the help guys. You really made me think this out instead of blindly jumping

Last edited:

shawnkelly

Got up the nerve to ask him about the Ericson

I called him today, talked for a little while, offered him 1000 cash. He said he wouldn't go lower than 2000. Its out of my price range. So, if anyone is interested in it, its located in Yankeetown Florida(on the gulf side) and his number is (352)857-6244. It does have new sails and it floats, thats all I can say about it. Could be used for salvage. And if anyone knows of anykind of sailboat that needs rescueing thats near FL. please let me know.

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Nope.

I called him today, talked for a little while, offered him 1000 cash. He said he wouldn't go lower than 2000. Its out of my price range. So, if anyone is interested in it, its located in Yankeetown Florida(on the gulf side) and his number is (352)857-6244. It does have new sails and it floats, thats all I can say about it. Could be used for salvage. And if anyone knows of anykind of sailboat that needs rescueing thats near FL. please let me know.

Run away Shawn - preferably to another Ericson - but to something that makes you happy (and your money well spent).

If $2000 is out of your price range, then I would suggest looking at smaller boats (in better condition) - perhaps something on a trailer. Buying trash and dreaming about 'what could be' is quite risky, and demands a specific vision (as well as the requisite financial+marital wherewithal).

Good luck to you! :egrin:

//sse

shawnkelly

Yes, I'll wait till the right deal comes by. I didn't really mean that it was out of my price range, but that particular one was too much work for the wrong price. If I could have gotten a better deal, I think you know I'd jump on it. I'll try not to be so anxious from now on. Thanks guys, for making me think twice. I'll keep an eye on his ad, just in case;)I'm sure tired on being landlocked

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
E-32 on Ebay

Shawn- Take a look at the 32 on ebay right now. It sure looks like a nice boat and the price looks great.

CWM

Chuck
Shawn:

I think you were wise to pass on the Ericson 30 "deal".

The attached photos show the condition of the E27 I purchased in June, 2007 for $1,250. Big difference. Bargins do occur.

Attachments

• 1608376_2.jpg
    1608376_2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 87
  • 1608376_3.jpg
    1608376_3.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 1608376_4.jpg
    1608376_4.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 76

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
Shawn,
Before you do any decison making please call Randy Peterson in Yankeetown and ask him to look at it with you.
352-447-5384 or cell 352-228-7449.
He is my brother and is another retired engineer.
Thanks

shawnkelly

CWM, That E27 is beautiful! I paid 2500 for my old one and it was drydocked with bad blistering. I do need to wait until something comes by, It may be that Ericson 30 one day. Thanks Gary, I will contact your brother to see if he'll meet me there. I've just got to give it some time.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Shawn, I definately think she's worth a closer look! Boats THAT cheap are hard to come by and IF the standing rigging, bulkheads and even the engine MIGHT be seviceable she'd be a cheap "daysailor" at best(wouldn't concider anything that cheap for offshore use). A buddy of mine bought a 28' KIT boat awhile back and never did get around to finishing the interior(20 years ago) so he's got himself a cavernous daysailor now.

CWM, You must have been in-the-right-place-at-the-right-time! Any idea "how much" to get'r to the present condition? What did she look like when purchased? Does the PO have anything else he'd like to get rid of?;)

CWM

Chuck
>> CWM, You must have been in-the-right-place-at-the-right-time! Any idea "how much" to get'r to the present condition? What did she look like when purchased? Does the PO have anything else he'd like to get rid of?

Sleather:
Those are the photos of the boat as purchased.
Total cost so far: about $12k, including $1,250 to buy her.
Two other people agreed to buy the boat, then backed out.

The boat as purchased had strong pros and cons.
Pros:
The boat showed very well, new Harkin III furling gear, new jib, relatively new main, new standing rigging, new running rigging, new upholstery, new cockpit cushions, new carpet, epoxy bottom (new means within last 2 years)
Cons:
Atomic 4 was leaking oil and salt water ($400 to steam clean the bilge) and it looked neglected, prop strut had broken free from the hull, two sea cocks were inoperable, two thru hull backing plates needed replacement, holding tank was leaking, several rain water leaks,

Changes I have made:
New boom, remove and sell Atomic 4 ($550), put epoxy in shaft log hole, install new outboard motor and motor mount, remove 5 thru hulls, glass over holes for 4 thru hulls, one new thru hull-backing plate-sea cock-hose, install 110v system including control panel and GFCI and power cord, replace most of the 12v wiring and control panel, remove head and holding tank, purchase portable head, fix water leaks on windows and hand rails and deck to hull joint and chain plates, replace top of forward hatch, replace all navigation lights, remove fresh water system (tank, hoses, pumps), install city pressure water system, install new VHF radio, repair companion way hatch (had some dry rot), replace battery, install solar power vent in forward hatch, remove exhaust riser, paint bottom, have hull waxed, install vents on storage areas,

To be done:
Sail her (someday!), remove fuel tank, "varnish" interior, setup anchoring system, relax

The next owner will get quite a deal, but I am happy with the results.

PS: I saw the PO yesterday, and he told me that the Atomic 4 had a cracked block.

Ericsean

Member III
E-30

Shawn, go with the E-30. I've sailed on from 1989- 2007, when I bought an E-38.

THe E 30-1 is the best sailing boat I have ever driven.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
The Triton was 28' only,

but there was a 30 footer which was very similar-might have been a Vanguard, or Wanderer-I don't recall the name it had-but there was a series of Pearsons-all full keel, and all similar, with names like these. The Invictus was a bit bigger (32 or 34?), but if you like this style of boat and it passes a survey you will like it as much as any. Happy hunting!

S

PDX

Member III
It was known as the Pearson Coaster

The 30 foot Pearson that was a dead ringer for the Triton except slightly larger overall. It was designed by a guy named Shaw after Alberg and Pearson had a parting of the sheets. His early designs were Alberg knock-offs.

Very pretty boat. I know of one for sale in Portland (OR) for I believe $6000 if anyone is interested.