• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Roller Furling Main

saltbox

Ericson 34 Owner
Does anyone have any experience with a roller furling main? We've found our dream boat, Ericson 34-2. Everything is just as we'd like it except the main (which is pretty darn important:)).
We're afraid of mechanical failure as well as slowing us down...
Any input?
Thanks in advance...
Tracy

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I've used a few. What sort is this? In Mast? Behind Mast? In Boom? And where is the drum/control rope/whatever it uses?

What brand?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I don't really get the current trend towards main furling systems on ever smaller boats. I understand these systems on larger boats, 50ft+ when the sail is simply too large to manage. The decrease in performance, lack of sail shape, area, etc. would be too much for me to consider any of the current setups. Currently have a full batten main with lazy jacks and it is really as simple as it gets. I'll leave the in mast furling for the geriatrics on IP's. If I had it, likely it would be the first thing I would remove..... RT

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I'm with Rob Tracy. If the track is properly maintained, this sail is not hard to handle. I can hoist mine up by hand to within 1 ft. of the top of the mast.

The other problem you run into is failure. What happens when you need to roll in that main(read gale) and it jams? You will be just a passenger along for the ride:esad:

Sell it and buy a nice new main sail.

saltbox

Ericson 34 Owner
Thanks...

Thanks for the info. Looks like it's a Hood installed in 2000. I did a little research and it looks like they were reworked in the late '90's and got a good review from Practical Sailor... James (in FL) is taking 'Island Girl' out for a sea trial tomorrow and will call me (in Maine) with more specs. Like iI said, everything else is our dream boat. Hey, anyone want to buy a roller furling main real cheap?:unsure:

Ericsean

Member III
Main Roller Furler

I think you may have to join a Hunter website if you want to sell that mainsail roller furler. Not going to have much luck here.

saltbox

Ericson 34 Owner
Yeah, I kinda figured. James can still walk away if she sails like a dog. We're just out $ for the trip and survey... :(

Ericsean

Member III
Don't let my comments on the main sway you from the boat. That 34 is a great boat, & you will be able to get a lot of money for the roller furler main set up, as Rob Suggested, I was just being an a--==le saying no one would but it here, but they are a great thing for older sailors, and the're not cheap.

maggie-k

Member II
Another option is to attach a second main track to the mast for a traditional main and put a storm sail on the roller furling.

saltbox

Ericson 34 Owner
good ideas, both

I didn't take offense (much). The type of roller furling is on a separate rod just aft of the mast. It looks like it rolls up to about 6" in diameter. It's hard to tell from pictures, only. James is going to check to see if there's already a track on the mast and it was put on with the ability to go back to a faster rig.
http://www.yachtworld.com/privatela...el/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp&boat_id=1788708

I know, it doesn't look promising...

Oh, and someday, I'll be an older sailor. But I'm hoping to have younger sailors to help do the scrambling.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tracy,
When this thread started, I immediately thought of a friend of mine that has been single handing sailboats for a couple of decades. After many years with a Newport 33, he looked for a larger boat and settled on a Catalina 42 (in his defense, he was shopping for something around 40' and wandered into a deal). The C-42 came with in-mast furling. He sails, usually alone, several times a week, about 9 months a year, and also on nicer winter days. He has logged a *lot* of hours...
I sent him this link and asked if he might have any advice and would he mind being quoted. And, here he is! :cool:

"Loren - Can post following if you want.

I would have to agree with the individuals "not" in favor of a roller main
on smaller boats. A good track system would be my first choice on a smaller
boat, and lazy jacks if you must. Most likely the roller main on the 34 is
external to the mast which decreases performance more, makes it difficult to UV protect (trailing edge heavier UV cloth). My choice would be a roller in boom, then in mast, nothing external.

On my 42 Catalina, I have in-mast furling and love it because I single hand
most of the time. There is no need to leave the cockpit to do any sail trim
at all. I do lose some sail area/trim quality because of the loss of the
roach and no battens but the trade off for me is well worth it (I don't
race).

More Notes:
1. The argument about failure and leaving the sail aloft I don't agree with.
This can happen with any type of sail. When rolling in the sail for a
in-mast sail, you do need to make sure it is rolled in tight, I would assume
you would need to do the same for an in-boom furl.
2. An advantage of roller main is reefing and balancing the sails. I have
been able to reef the main and jib to balance in heavy weather - without
leaving the cockpit. I have taken the sail in and out in heavy winds as my
mood changed with the weather. In the same conditions on my past boat
(Newport 33), I would not reef once and give up after that.

Good luck and good sailing
LW"

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Going by the pics I would say that the mast/boom is likely workable. Looks as if a standoff bracket was used for the gooseneck, etc. and the sail track would still be there. Might not be all that hard for a rigger to change for you. Theres a Catalina 42 and a Niagara 42 at my club with in mast furling. My E38 will outsail the Cat in any conditions and the Niagara 42 starts catching me once the wind gets above 22-24 kts. When I get old I may have to have it but not yet..... RT

saltbox

Ericson 34 Owner
Sceptical about Roller Furling Main

James here. Tracy sent me off to Florida to check out Island Girl with the roller furling main. It sailed 30 degrees off the wind on the starboard tack, and between 30 and 20 on the port tack, making just under 6 knots in a 10 knot breeze! Up until then, I was more concerned with loss of performace than reliability, but at this point, I am soooooooooooo impressed with the performance of the entire package that I think I will try to convince Tracy to keep the roller furling main for a while and see if we find it to be dependable. It appears that the sail is the original main, so to convert it back to a more traditional system is just a matter of stitching those "feet" back on the luff and making the appropriate changes to the running gear. The boat is in exceptionally good condition so we are going forward with the deal and should be new Erickson owners by the end of the week! We are excited about sailing it up to Maine in April..........YEHAW!!!!!!!!!!!

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Congratulations! :egrin: What part of the great state are you from?

It appears that the sail is the original main, so to convert it back to a more traditional system is just a matter of stitching those "feet" back on the luff and making the appropriate changes to the running gear.
The main probably had the roach removed when it was modified, as vertical rolling mains are battenless and have a hollow-cut leach. So while restoring it to a hoisted main would be fairly simple, you'd still have the hollow cut on the back end.

saltbox

Ericson 34 Owner
Hooray!

Tracy here, I got my guy back with glowing reports. Our next adventure is to sail our new E-34 back up to Maine. We live in Woolwich and have a mooring in Georgetown. Although I love our old Bristol 29, I'm really looking forward to a boat we can spend more time sailing than fixing (up). We're going to give this roller furling main a chance for at least a season then reassess. Thanks for all the input from everyone!:egrin:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Congratulations Tracy and James. That looks like a great boat. Let us know when you start your trip. I will keep an eye out for you when sailing this summer.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Double congratulations! Welcome to the fold. I agree with your thinking on the furling main. Use it, see how it goes. It may work for you and the way you sail. Then again, it may go on the list of upgrades that we all have.... The big thing is to SAIL the boat and enjoy it. RT

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Triple congrats!

The other coast says welcome, You have found both the best of boats and sites, expect you to use both often:egrin: