• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Chesapeake Rendezvous again?

dehaemer

Inactive Member
Autumn plans to join

We look forward to meeting some other Ericson's.
Will be at Thomas Point light at noon and cruise with the group.
Is there a raft up point selected? And a working VHF channel???
cell phone 443 695 4741.
Mike and Judy DeHaemer

John Butler

Member II
I was hoping that Ted would check in. My guess is that he was busy preparing for the Bermuda Ocean Race which started at 2 PM today.

My preference is to use my spinnaker if the winds are appropriate. How many plan on joining in on the fun race, what is your boat size and what is your preference for spinnaker use?

I don't know if we'll have a powerboat to give us a start line and to start us. We can use a rabbit start as another alternative.

In post #26 of this thread, Ted mentioned a big raft up party. I don't know anything about that, but I did find this mention of a party to support the Riverkeeper:
Rhythm on the River

Last year it was fun rafting 5 E-38s. We each had our own food, but there was mingling across the boats. The people from the Ericsons anchored nearby also came aboard the rafted boats.

John
Red Rover, 1982 E-38

steven

Sustaining Member
We'll be at the raftup (where? when?) and at starting line - but not sure if we'll "race". Who is planning to be there with a 34 or 35?

EGregerson

Member III
Raft up

I'll be there with a 34; I'll following along the 'race', not actually in the 'race' (unless I'm doing well, in which case .... :>)

Shadowfax

Member III
Location Update

Still not sure if we can make it or not, but on the chance that we do, what was the final decision on where the raft up will be. The last I heard was the West River. Is that still on and any particular place on the West if that's the spot? Any time frame, costumes, VHF channel etc.

John Butler

Member II
Attached is a flyer I just received on the Tiki Barbarians RaftUp event that Ted mentioned earlier in this thread.

I see that Indigo (the boat I think Ted was on) has arrived in Bermuda. I don't think he'll be back in time to post a Sailing Instructions/NOR. I'll modify what we used last year and post later today or tomorrow. I'll keep the course short so that we can get into the West R. relatively early.

John

Attachments

• Raftup Flyer 2008.pdf
    45.3 KB · Views: 125

John Butler

Member II
Sailing Instructions/ NOR

Racing will be governed by the Racing Rules of sailing (Current RRS).

Rendezvous: Vicinity of Thomas Point Light 1200 Saturday June 21. Please hail SV Red Rover with your sail number or boat name if you intend to race.

Start:

If power boat not present: We will do a rabbit start between orange life jacket being towed about 38’ off the transom of Red Rover (I don’t want boats ducking my transom) and government mark GR C "SR" off Thomas Point. Red Rover will be sailing on port tack, passing by the can at start time. Start sequence will follow RRS 26, 5 Minute series. For a description of a Rabbit Start, see Appendix A at this link: http://www.ussailing.net/fjus/fleet_68.htm

If power boat present: Between flag on power boat (26' Lyman Cruisette) and government mark GR C "SR" off Thomas Point. Start sequence will follow RRS 26, 5 Minute series. Race committee will attempt to hail OCS competitors but onus remains with skippers to start fairly.

Finish: G “1A” for West R. finish with mark to port.

Course (a short course of about 11 nm based on current forecast of SW 5 to 10 kt. Winds):
G “85A” round to port
GR C “SR” round to port
G “1A” for West R. finish with mark to port
We can add R "2" if a longer course is desired.

Signals:
1224 Series of short horn or whistle blasts to signal approx 1 minute to sequence start.
1225 One Blast 5 minutes to start
1226 One blast 4 Minutes to start
1229 One Blast 1 Minute to start
1230 One Blast Start

Time Limit: None – Drop out whenever you’ve had enough of racing.

Protests: Any protesting yacht will be required to supply Rum and Tonic of sufficient quantities to convince RC to hear your case. Subsequent protest hearings will be held at Fall Rendezvous with results likely to be unfair.

Awards: To be determined.

Social: Raft up in the West River off the Galesville Town dock in the vicinity of 38° 50.5' N 076° 32.2' W. All Ericsons and their friends of any yacht make welcome.

Sunday Race Back: To be determined by yachts present...

Communications:
If power boat not present: SV Red Rover to monitor VHF channel 65 with course info and starting sequence details. Red Rover can also be hailed via phone at 301-613-7996. Skipper John Butler.
If power boat present: SV Escape Plan to monitor VHF channel 65 with course info and starting sequence details. Escape Plan can also be hailed via phone at 410-919-8539. Skipper Ted Reshetiloff.

EGregerson

Member III
Chesapeake race; raftup

Hi everyone; I just got back to ole Virginney after a great sail down the Bay on Tueday; even tho i missed the rabbit start on Saturday, I managed to catch the coat tails of the pack as they flew by. The mid summers eve event that night was no less than spectacular. More crabcakes anyone? I attached a few pics; If anyone wants an original (3000 x 2000; 2 mb) just email me. egregerson@cox.net

The 1st and 2nd is I think Ted and crew in Escape Plan
The 3rd and 4th are John and Diane and Beth in Red Rover
The 6th is a couple that didn't make the raft up
The 7th is a guy who knew nothing about the raftup; has a slip at Pirates cove; I would guess a 60's era 35. It had a very interesting line to the transom.

Attachments

• DSC_1809a.JPG
    DSC_1809a.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_1810.JPG
    DSC_1810.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_1811a.JPG
    DSC_1811a.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_1812a.JPG
    DSC_1812a.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_1813a.JPG
    DSC_1813a.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 72

EGregerson

Member III
Here's Some more

A few more pics from the Chesapeake raftup;

Attachments

• DSC_1815a.JPG
    DSC_1815a.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_1816a.JPG
    DSC_1816a.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_1817a.JPG
    DSC_1817a.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_1819a.JPG
    DSC_1819a.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 64

John Butler

Member II
I’ve been away from email since the Chesapeake Bay Ericson rendezvous. Here’s a short write-up from my perspective:

Three Ericson 38s showed up for the start of the fun race around the bay and into the West River. We had Wild Blue with Vince Benn at the helm, Escape Plan with Ted Reshetiloff at the helm and Red Rover with me at the helm. Vince had to leave for another engagement and only sailed about half way down the first leg of the race. Ted was essentially single handing as his wife, Claudia, was busy with their 2 young kids aboard. John had his wife, Diane, and friend, Beth, aboard. The spinnaker drop and changeover to jib ended up being the deciding point of the race where John had the advantage of having crew aboard. After the spinnaker drop, Red Rover held off a hard charging Escape Plan on the close reach to the finish.

Arriving in the West River mid afternoon, we found the raft for the Tiki Barbarians’ summer celebration party already forming. In addition to the main party raft, there were other mini rafts throughout the anchorage. Ted opted to raft with his brother, well clear of the party raft and we rafted with a friend from Annapolis who was already anchored relatively near the party raft. So, when Eric arrived on Valinor, there was no Ericson raft to join and he anchored in the vicinity. Mike and Judy DeHaemer then arrived in their beautiful 1990 Ericson 38, Autumn, and rafted to Eric. Dinghies in the water, we all gathered for happy hour aboard Autumn.

Storms threatened, but never materialized. The great music of the Tiki Barbarians’ could be heard until about 9:30 PM. After dinner, the crew of Red Rover picked up Eric and visited the party raft for desert and dancing.

It was great to meet some other Ericson owners. Participation was off from last year. Maybe next year we can get a bigger turnout!

Here's a few pictures from the race.

John

Attachments

• escape plan under spinnaker.jpg
    escape plan under spinnaker.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Red Rover chasing Escape Plan.jpg
    Red Rover chasing Escape Plan.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 60
  • escape plan.jpg
    escape plan.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 61

Emerald

I had definitely wanted to join the festivities, but as luck had it I was still one week out from finishing my blister repair. Back in the water a week too late :esad: I'd be interested in another water event this year and certainly something next spring/summer.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Definately a great time. Sorry I was not more social but had flown in from Bermuda the night prior and was trying for some family time. The whole Bermuda gig came up at last minute as it was a customers boat I ended up sailing on. Oh yeah and we won! Will have to work on the attendance next year for sure. John if you have any higher resolution version of those pics I would love a copy. Send it to ted@southboundcruising.com.

Oh and if any of you other Ericson folks in the Chesapeake area need any rigging help give me a call or email. (shameless plug)

Ted Reshetiloff
Southbound Cruising Services, LLC
7416 Edgewood Rd.
Bldg. 7401 Suite 3
Annapolis, MD 21403
Ph: 410-626-6060
Fax: 410-626-6011
ted@southboundcruising.com
www.southboundcruising.com

reflections

Member I
Anybody interested in doing another rendezvous this year like we did last year? We'd be up for another fun race to a destination (emphasis being on fun:egrin:). Maybe we could feature another model other than the 38's?
We had a BLAST with this last year!
Chris

Yes, Chris, my wife and I would be interested in another rendezvous.....hopefully, you've had others respond. Please keep us informed as to when it will be.

Mike Bowser