• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Total refit E-30+

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
I just had my 84 30+ painted , engine rebuilt, mast re done, re locate batteries, toss original ac and dc panels and replace with Blue seas systems, new charger, new bilge pump, replace hanging locker with 3 drop down shelves and I did it myself and learned a lot! Install dickenson newport diesel heat and convert icebox with Nova cool. Am a marine technician by trade. on future plans- replace drop table with carbon sheet and fabricate/ install hard dodger. I would be happy to share what I learned.:egrin:

ccorcoran

Member II
Hi Graham,

We own a 1987 E34 and we're considering refinishing the mast. I've heard lots of horror stories, so, I'd appreciate any insights/experience you might have. We planned to pull the mast, sand, replace appropriate hardware, neutralize, prime and coat with LPU. Again, any first-hand experience would be helpful. We're willing to do whatever work is appropriate in the interest of saving a few boat $$.

Thanks.

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
First Ipulled the mast - It had been up for about 6 yrs and the deck step fitting was galled into the base of the mast and required persuasion to release. I removed all hardware/ spreaders then sanded/paint stripped all of the old coating (paint). I applied a 2 step prep. coat- Alumiprep followed by Aludine. The Aludine left a gold sheen on the aluminum and is supposed to render inert to any corrosion. I applied Endura 2 part paint to the mast. The stripping/ aludine process was very easy (time consuming) and paintbrush was used to apply. I would hire a pro for a few hours to shoot the lpu. I rewired the mast at this time and installed new lights/ vhf whip. I tossed the Ericson wiring harness plug in favour of ancor's heat shrink connectors. Be careful stepping the mast so you don't pinch any wires. (can't remember if your mast is deck or keel stepped)
good luck