• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-2 Stanchions

skipper007

Member II
Guys,
I want to add a second lifeline to the original stanchions on an 1974 E32-2. The stanchions are single pieces, welded to the base. Removing and replacing (and rebedding) the stanchions is beyond our time/cost window for this repair. I'm considering adding a clamp on eye (see picture) to each stanchion (6 total) and getting a shop to weld an eye onto the bow & stern pulpit.

Question is: What is the diameter of the existing stanchions? Are they tapered?

Any E32-2 owners available with a mic to measure?
Thanks in advance
Skip

Attachments

• stanchion clamp.bmp
    28.3 KB · Views: 70

sleather

Sustaining Member
Kiss

Skip, You "might" want to give some thought to "thru-drilling" the stanchions. That would allow for a continuous run w/ a minimum of hardware. A good cobalt drill bit is a whole lot cheaper than all that hardware! Just a thought!:rolleyes:

skipper007

Member II
I have considered drilling the existing stanchions. Definitely cheaper. I have 2 concerns: 1. Wouldn't the structural integrity (=safety) of the stanchion be compromised by the hole? 2. Wouldn't chafing cause damage? Although I guess rubber grommets could be used.

Other comments? Anyone?
S

tenders

Innocent Bystander
If I did the drilling I'd be worried about time spent, chafe, and misguided holes. Compromising strength, not so much. I'd go with the bolt-on.

Glyn Judson

Second life lines with brackets.

Skip, I have a pair of these on our boat and recommend them on our E31 web site. They are easy to install and have all the strength you'd ever want. For safety, might I suggest that you replace the standard nuts with Nylok nuts? Visit my Tiny Tips section for the reference to those exact clamps at: http://www.Ericson31.com Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA