• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hull layup for E-35 1984

John Motlow

1) I am considering purchasing an Ericson 35-3(2?). I understand that the hull is cored with balsa, but I have been told the coring is only from the water line to the shear. TRUE? 2) has anyone experienced problems with water retention within the hull (or deck) coring. If so, was the fix fairly easily accomplished. I would like to hear from anyone who has first (or close second) hand knowledge of these items. Thanks...

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
E35-3

If the boat was made in 84 - it's an E35-3. The difference is easy to spot - the E35-3 has an 11'3" beam, the 35-2 a 9'X beam. The hull on the E35-3 is solid glass.

The deck has a balsa core - and the only water retention problem I've seen are from leaks that are not properly closed up (old bedding allowed to leak) - or (in another case) from a heater pipe being installed correctly (not grinding back the balsa and loading it with epoxy.

There are reviews of the E35-2 and E35-3 out in the documentation section also...

//sse

escapade

Inactive Member
E35 core

John;
As Sean stated there is no balsa coring in the hull. If you are looking at a boat with a spongy deck, you are in for some real work. Depending on your level of expertise, this could be a project you wouldn't want to tackle. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being Bristol and 10 being junk yard material, I would rate repairing deck coring about 8.5 Definitely not a project to try unless you are very good with epoxy or polyester resins and very creative at reinforcing weak areas. Small spots aren't to bad, but anything much larger than 6" diameter can get real tricky! Good luck. Bud

John Motlow

Replys to Hull Layup for E-35-3

Sean and Bud,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I am relieved to find the E-35 hull is solid. The purchase is on hold until the Spring, thus, I have not had a survey. At that time I hope to become a proud Ericson owner. Again, thanks for the info...

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Do you know if there's deck damage? Does the deck crunch or give way under your weight (the only real advantage to my 230 lbs!)? I agree with the accessment on replacing deck core - it's a major problem.

The E35's have an issue with the dorade box leaking - so watch the vent stacks through the glass into the head and after the foward cabin - also check the deck between the mast and the dorade - if that's clear, and you don't see anything else, I would think you're ok.

Actually, in your neck of the woods, I would be more worried about sun damage to the decks. Is this your first boat? Have you read Casey's 'Inspecting the Aging Sailboat'?

//sse