• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 Wheel Removal

WBurgner

Member III
I tried to remove the Yacht Specialties wheel this afternoon and could not get it to budge. I thought that removal of the retaining nut would allow it to slide off. I see that there is a key on the shaft. If anyone has pulled the wheel I would appreciate a little info on how this all goes together. Or in this case, apart.

Is this a tapered shaft? Is a wheel puller required? What is the function of the locking ring behind the wheel. Because it is behind the wheel I would not expect it to restict the removal of the wheel.

Is this a design that will not lend itself to removing the wheel for more cockpit space while anchored for extended periods?

Mindscape

Member III
Wheel removal

Bill, on my 32-3 with a Yacht Specialties wheel I had a problem removing my wheel as well. I ended up using a puller and it came right off. I know that my wheel would not lend itself to removing it to add space since it does take a puller.
I was very cautious when using the puller and it takes very little force to get my wheel off.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Once you remove the wheel, clean up the shaft with some degreaser and emory cloth. Apply some waterproof lube and it will slide on and off with no problem.

WBurgner

Member III
Puller it is

Thanks guys. It is a great help to have the group to bounce things off of. I will get a puller and give it another shot next weekend. While it is a pain in the neck having the boat two hours away, at least I have it in the water all year.

On the other hand, if I had to haul it each year I could get all the projects done off season and actually end up sailihng more!

Guy Stevens

A little heat may be in order too.

Sometimes you have to apply a little heat to the situation too.

The fingers of the puller should be on the hub of the wheel, never the spokes, take up and apply torque to the puller, if the wheel does not pop off with a moderate amount of torque, the with the puller still pulling strike the end of the puller with a plastic, brass, or copper hammer. If that does not work, apply heat, tighten again, strike, repeat....... Sometimes it might move very little for a number of times (Think 40 times of repeating the above), and then eventually you will notice that it moved a tiny bit, keep repeating. It should eventually come off.

I have only ever had to cut one off.

Guy
:)

WBurgner

Member III
Wheel Puller

Guy,
The wheel puller worked as advertised. It appears that lock-tite or something similar was used, but no heat or pounding was needed.

Thanks for the help.

Howard Keiper

I have such a wheel on Sea Quest, an E35-II. just forward of the transverse island that the pedestal is mounted to, on the cockpit floor is the rudder tube extension with the fitting used to attach a tiller if it's needed....I don't know if other E's are set up this way. Anyway, the wheel is designed to be very easily removed (too easily, probably) by unscrewing the fairly large nut with one's fingers. It is a very difficult job to steer the -35 with a tiller if the wheel is attached...and very much less so if it's removed.
Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley