• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rub Rail for 35-2

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Yesterday I ordered a replacement Rub Rail for my Ericson and it will be delivered in two or three weeks. The Boat was built in 1971 and the existing rail is more like steel than rubber. I'm looking for some suggestions on the removal. Does anyone have any easy solutions?

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
If you can get a pair pf pliers, maybe vise grips on one of the ends you should be able to pull it out. You can take off the aluminum cover at the bow to expose the end of the rub rail. It will be hard to do. But wait until you go to put the new one in. I ended up hammering it into place with a hammer and a screw driver an inch at a time.

Good luck, it will be nice when done.

Phil

Howard Keiper

.....And don't even think of starting that job until the temperature is at least in the 70's. Also, consider using K-Y liquid to lube the rubber as you poke it into place. It helps if the channel is free of dirt and grime, too.
Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Rub Rails

Thanks for the input. I went down to the Boat today and finally got the four bolts out of the nose piece, but couldn't budge it. I'm taking a bigger hammer tomorrow.

jkm

Member III
Bill

I think you'd better take Howards advice, it's really a summer job. Unless you've got some sort of weather pattern down there that we in Santa Monica don't have - it's way too cold.

I've done that job once on an Oday and sprayed WD 40 and Liquid Wrench on the rub rail for weeks before I started and it still was a bitch.

Do something else and wait for hot weather.

John

By the way where did you find the replacement?

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Rub Rail

I left the information on the Boat so I will post it tomorrow. The Co. is in Canoga Park and has been extruding rub rails for 60 years. They have the exact replacement for the Ericson. The cost is $4.00 a foot.
You really think I shouldn't try it until summer, huh? It has been cold here too. And foggy this past week.

S Ellis

Member I
rub rail

I would recommend waiting for warm weather, and soaking the rubber in hot water as you are trying to insert it. Might be smart to spray the aluminum with a bit of dish soap as you go. I did the rail on my old boat[ Catalina 27] years ago and was surprised how easy the rubber went in. Different profile I know but the hot water really helped! Steve

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Rub Rail

John,
Here is the information on the Rub Rail Co;

WEFCO, Rubber Manufacturing Co. Inc.
21000 Osborne St. Unit #2
Canoga Park, CA 91304
800 854-1220
WWW.WEFCORUBBER.COM

The rail stock # that I bought was 788.0

I am becoming convinced that the replacement job is a summer task.

Thanks for the wise words.

jkm

Member III
Bill

Thanks for the information-I never knew that company existed.

I just couldn't imagine doing that job until summer so that you can assess it properly with a glass of wine in hand!

John