• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Left Hand vs Right Hand

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
As I understand it, the prop on the majority of sailboats turns in a clockwise direction when going forward, pulling the stern to starboard; in reverse, the boat will tend to pull to port (called propwalk).

I think you could tell if yours fits with the majority by taking the boat for a short motor ride, slowly in forward and reverse and watch the prop walk to see if it pulls in the direction stated above.

Frank.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The stock engine in your boat is likely a Universal M25 or M25XP. These are a right hand propeller rotation drivetrain.
AFAIK, all the Universal's are right hand... And Ericson used these diesels on most (all?) of their boats.
Actually, I only know of earlier-generation Volvo diesels that rotated the other way, and, I seem to remember that boats with V-Drives also have left hand prop rotation.
Anyone else know?

Loren

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Just curious, but how is the rotation defined? Counterclockwise or clockwise? As viewed from the bow or stern? RT

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Rob, I think it is clockwise (for the majority of sailboats), as viewed from the stern when you are driving the boat forward.
Frank.