• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

outboard for E-25?

raslocum

Member I
When I bought my boat last year, the deal did not include the engine. The former owner let me have free use of it for the majority of a year, however. Finally, he came to retrieve it, and I need a replacement. What it was running was an 8 horse Tohatsu 2 stroke w/ alternator, and electric start.

I'd like to go 4 stroke this time around, but I'm worried about engine size and fit within the cutout for the outboard on these boats. This is a CB model. It was sometimes sketchy getting this boat into its slip, especially in a crosswind. The tohatsu could be turned somewhat (carefully so as not to hit the rudder) this helped add a little additional control. I'm afraid I'll lose this with a bigger motor.

Can I go with less horsepower? - what was originally recommended?
Do i really need a long shaft as the e25 has a cutout?
what are other people running on these?

sleather

Sustaining Member
4 Stroke

raslocum, 4 strokes are the way to go(unless you go electric), but anything under an 8hp is going to be a 1cyl. which you don't want because of greater vibration. I've got a '97 Honda 8-2cyl. on my E23 and it's overkill, but it's a "sweet" motor.

Shaft length I'll leave up to the 25er's

You may want to check E27 threads(more cut-out OB stuff), the consensus there is the maneuverability issue comes down to "learning to drive it like an inboard" w/ the rudder. That's what I do w/ my 23 as it's way out on a bracket.

Good Luck, did you ever get the E23 registration figured out?

raslocum

Member I
about that e-23

well...... I'm still paying dry storage fees on it at the marina. I've received an info packed from the State of Texas for obtaining a new "bonded" title. This will require some legwork on my end and I'm more than a little disgusted with the whole thing to deal with it right now. I'm just focusing on finishing my e-25 at the moment so I can go sailing. Too many projects at one time get me distracted.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Too many projects at one time get me distracted.

I know that feeling all to well!

When you're shopping for outboards you might want to consider power trim/tilt, remote controls & electric start(baby inboard). All this "stuff" has come to pass because of the explosion in recreational fishing. Those guys(myself included) use 8-9.9's as "kickers" for trolling. It's a long way from Texas, but I'll throw in this link, for comparison shopping.
www.edsmarinesuperstore.com They've got the "best" prices around! Good Luck! Unfortunately they don't carry Honda, my 1st choise! Yamahas are good!

Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Outboard for a E25

Raslocum- I have a 8hp, 2 cycle, short shaft Mercury on my 25. I believe I need all of the eight ponies and have wanted more. I know there are control issues if the motor is in the cut out. I have seen people that have mounted a bracket on the port side. I have just learned to deal with limited starboard control. there is no issues with turning to port. Yes, if Im careless the prop hits the rudder. I just fix it in the off season. Ive always thought of rigging up a guard or stand off, just have not got around to it yet. I would recommend a long shaft. They are usually 4' deeper, but the only issue I have found is if I go on the foredeck.
As for my opinion, there is no reason why you cant make the cutout larger to accomadate a larger motor. All that really is needed is 3" more.

BOL. Rob Hessenius

sleather

Sustaining Member
Bass Pro

Yes, if Im careless the prop hits the rudder. I just fix it in the off season. Ive always thought of rigging up a guard or stand off, just have not got around to it yet. I would recommend a long shaft. They are usually 4' deeper

Rob, Bass Pro Shops:mad: has a has a "Prop Saver" add-on prop guard that looks like a "rudder saver"!

4'? that's one long shaft LOL;)

Standard, is 20"-mounting surface to cavitation plate.
Long Shaft is 25"