• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Groaning steering fixed!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
First of all I must admit to being an idiot and overlooking this to begin with..... The steering in my E38 has had a groaning noise since I got it, getting progressively louder too. I had searched in vain for the problem. Had heard tale of a grease fitting but couldn't find it. This weekend, under sail with the steering groaning badly I removed the rudder post access plate in the cockpit floor that allows the emergency steering to be used. I noticed that the rudder stock protrudes through its bearing in the cockpit floor and I could see it move. The rudder stock sits a bit higher than the bearing so there is a "trough" around the stock. Hmmmm, what would happen if I put a bit of oil in that trough? I poured half a capfull of motor oil in the trough. Almost immediately the groaning ceased! I added a bit more oil and put the access plate back on. The steering has never felt better.

I had checked under this plate when I got the boat to see how the emergency tiller hooks up but never got back to looking at it as a source for my problem. I am planning on using a heavier liquid lube/grease in future but for now the motor oil works great. Hope this helps someone.... ;) RT