• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 refrigeration

jdeboer

Member I
The E34 1987 I'm about to buy does not have any refrigeration.

I would like to install one and find out:
- where the factory placed the compressor (as refrigeration was an option for the original owners)
- in which icebox (port or starboard) the factory placed the evaporator
- what type/brand other E34 have installed.
-any picture of installed refrig units would be great, as I might want to tackle this myself.....
- if you added another battery in addition to the regular 2, where did you place the 3rd (or maybe 4th) battery?

Thanks!

Jolanda
still E29 owner Losierra, hopefully soon E34 owner

jkm

Member III
Jolander

I've been totally preoccupied with my refrigeration for years.

Last year I drilled pilot holes in my ice box through the thin layer of insulation and emptied 5 cans of expanding foam behind and under the ice box.

I have a less than perfect refrigeration plate set up in the box with the compressor aft in a lazarette.

The added insulation has really worked out well. If I turn the icebox on Thursday, after filling it up with food and drinks, I can leave Friday and everything stays cold right through my return on Monday.

Refrigerators use alot of juice and the extra insulation has helped out immeasurably, FWIW
John

Glyn Judson

E34 Refrigeration.

John, Could you expand (sorry for the obvious pun) on where, how many and what size holes you drilled in the ice box sides? How did you finish off these holes after using them to inject foam? What type of foam did you use and where did you get it? It looks like we're almost neighbors. Do you keep your boat in Marina del Rey? Thanks, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Maria del Rey, CA

jdeboer

Member I
Thanks, John. It seems that refrigeration can become quite a hassle, and if i wasn't a live-a-board or only would plan for daysailing, I might skip it all together.

Shadowfax

Member III
Jolanda,

I installed an Adler Barbour Cold Machine system in my 34 almost ten years ago. We used the starboard side ice box as it seemed to be better insulated and is deeper then the port side box. You have two choices as to where to put the condenser; in the lazerette, or under the starboard bench seat in the compartment under where you sit when at the chart table. We chose the lazerette as it was outside the cabin and thus less noise and heat being blown into the cabin. We made a stand that sits over the water heater and installed the condenser there. In the heat of the summer, when we leave the boat for the week, I put a four inch block under the lazerette seat to allow better air circulation.

If you are installing refrigeration that works off the batteries, then you need at least one big deep cycle battery just for the refrigerator and depending on where you are climate wise and how you use your boat, you might want to add a second, making a 3 battery house bank and a separate starter battery. That is what I ended up doing and it works well. With all this battery storage you will want a good battery charger and might also want to upgrade your alternator.

I never saw a factory installed refrigeration unit on a 34, so I can't help you with what Ericson did.

Good luck and have fun

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Adler Barbour installation

Jolanda - I have an Adler Barbour installed in the galley icebox with the compressor under the settee just ahead of the galley sink. I believe it is original ('87), but don't know if it was a factory installation. I like the setup because I can make enough ice for my needs. I did make a top for the open evaporator to speed the ice making. I don't have any pics of the evaporator or the compressor, but can take some when I go back to the boat later this week if you want them.

I have louvers on the front and side of the settee for ventilation. Because of the good ventilation in the cabin I don't think that the added heat is a concern, however I am not in a windless tropical zone like Paul.

I have two group 29 batteries in the battery well under the aft berth for a house bank and a group 24 starting battery in the sail locker. These are charged by a Xantrex 20 amp charger and a 100 amp Balmar alternator with an external regulator. The starting battery I installed in the sail locker above the water heater on a shelf built for a CNG tank.

If you send me your address I will send you an email with a good Practical Sailor article by Mike Adler on powering a fridge. It is too long for a "private message" and your email address is not valid.

Attachments

• Water heater 001 C.jpg
    Water heater 001 C.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 82
  • floor 5 A.jpg
    floor 5 A.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Shadowfax

Member III
Tom makes a good point. If you live in The Great White Northern like Tom, having the condenser vent into the cabin can keep your toes from frost bite, while sitting at the chart table trying to defrost your Martini so you can drink it.

As Tom noted, his battery in the lazerette is in the original location of the CNG tank. If you are using the CNG system, as I do, and can't mount the extra battery there, I mounted my extra batteries [2] on a shelf near the manual bilge pump in the lazerette. I have the same charger and alternator set up as Tom does, as per his advice, which was right on.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
What's he mean?

What's he mean? "The Great White Northern"? :confused: It had gotten up to the low 50s today before I came home to straighten out Paul. I had thought that he would have commented on my being able to make enough ice rather than the problem of what to do with it all.

BTW, the XX dry martini does not need to be defrosted; EVER. Sometimes though, gloves do help. :cool:

For those not familiar with the late models like the E-34, Paul and I are referring to the same locker, the "Sail Locker". He calls it by that other name, ignoring "Nautical def: a small storeroom within the hull of a ship, esp. one at the extreme stern". :argue:

Bob Robertson

Member III
Frigoboat

Jolanda,

I installed a Frigoboat system a couple of years ago. I have found it to be very efficient. Rather than circulating water for cooling it uses, what they call, a Keel Cooler.

We have been very happy with the choice.

You can read about it at http://www.frigoboat.com/.

Enjoy,
Bob

jdeboer

Member I
This all great input, thank you all! So much to learn here, especially as I made it a goal to do more work myself (now, if that will be the case here, I don't know).

Will keep you posted of my (very likeley) slow progress. First, the survey tomorrow, and hopefully she will be mine soon! (and I will have an E29 for sale)

Jolanda
E29 Losierra
E34 Lena?
Berkeley, CA

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I can second the recommendation for a Frigoboat setup. Three close sailing friends have the keelcooler Frigoboat system. Very smart and less moving parts. Thats whats replacing the power hungry AB setup I have when the icebox gets reinsulated. RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Finding Frigoboat info

For a lot of installation and in-use commentary, go to the Search function and input the word Frigoboat.
18 threads appear.
Lots of Ericson owners are happy with this system.

Loren

Howard Keiper

Hi, Jolanda....

Don't know how similar the 34 and 35 are (were), but you can walk over to Sea Quest and have a look for ideas.

Many congrats on your new boat.

kip