• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Inverter & Microwave...

chrism

Inactive Member
Hello All,

We've commissioned the local boatyard to give us an estimate on a ton of work to be done over the winter... It's going to be awesome when it's all done.

I'm on an E-35 II, and would like to know if anyone else who owns one has installed a microwave, and if so, where? I'm thinking behind the icebox, but not sure. We're going to install an inverter to run it, so I would like recommendations on an inverter, as well.

Also, if anyone has a microwave on board, I'd love to know the brand.

Chris

jthistle

Member II
love to see it

I'd Love to see some pics before the work begins - I'm doing a big reno on 1972- E35 #268. I'm a long ways from installing a microwave - Good luck with you project.

Jason
1972 - E35 #268

chrism

Inactive Member
Jason,

I'd be happy to take some pictures for you. I should be headed sailing tomorrow afternoon, so I'll try and remember to bring the camera.

If you're interested, this is our project list -

1. Install Holding Tank w/ Y valve
  2. D.C. Refrigeration System
  3. Replace CNG stove
  4. Steam clean bilge
  5. Install Inverter
  6. Install deck pumpout for holding tank
  7. Replace Roller Furling
  8. Replace all interior and exterior cushions
  9. Awlgrip doghouse and cockpit coamings (rest of the boat was awlgripped in 2004)
  10. Replace dodger
  11. Refinish exterior teak
  12. Paint interior ceiling
  13. Paint head
  14. "Clean Up" mast
  15. Repair Tachometer
  16. Fix Oil Alarm
  17. Replace traveler
  18. Install autopilot - wheel or belowdecks?
  19. Repair hot water heater
  20. Install new Raymarine Instruments - wind, speed, depth
  21. rewire mast
  22. replace VHF antenna
  23. Install masthead light
  24. Install steaming light w/ foredeck light

Should be quite the project... I might start some sort of a site for it all.

Chris

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I did it

the thread is a little stale but any way... the area behind the icebox is in fact perfect. it is however where the electrical panel is. as mine had no shore power or room to grow in the original panel upgraded and moved the panel under the stairs. this left a big hole. the ice box extends beyond the bulkhead and makes a fine shelf to set the m.w. on. a few angle brackets some trim & presto .7 cu.' microwave flush with the wall. the absolute lowest profile is made by tapen who also market through target as chefmate picked mine up for $39 on sale figure at that price can replace it if the elements aren't kind to it.
Edd & Debi
exoduse35

Capt Jeff

Member I
To Microwave or not?

My wife and I had a discussion on whether we need a microwave or not as I was measuring for one also to be located behind the ice box. She decided we don't need one because we don't use it at home so.... why use it on the boat? I then explained that SHE wants an A/C on the boat and we don't use the one at home.... so why put one on the boat? I don't think it sunk in to her! I still haven't ruled it out and would love to see how it looks on your boat if you do install one. Here is a pic I found online if it helps.

Attachments

• galley.jpg.jpg
    galley.jpg.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 123

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Here is some pics

Hi Capt. Jeff. I don't use the home m/w either, but love it on the boat. We often have our guests overnight before we take them out as launch time for us is critical [too much draft not enough dredge] and entertain the kids with a DVD & popcorn. Boiling water for soup or coffee doesn't heat up the cabin. And it is nice to pop in a TV dinner for lunch when I'm down working on the boat. Also we are still on an ice box so we freeze everything and sometimes need to defrost breakfast. Besides as you will have to do all the labor the wife can't mind that too much, and it may be one of the cheapest projects you will ever do on the boat. When finished, even if you never turn it on you gain an extra cupboard without eating into interior volume. In short you can't lose! Here is a couple shots of mine [sorry for the poor quality] You may notice my dish cabinet above it in that otherwise useless void. Would you believe it has a complete service for 8 in there? I'm talking dinner & salad plates, soup bowls, bread & desert plates, and finger bowls. If that isn't enough there is also 8 school style lunch platters & matching bowls. There is even room for a complete service of silverware. The whole thing is on slides and pushes back into that worthless hole. I digress but it is such a work of art & engineering [SO MUCH more than it began as] that i like to show it off. Any way the wall is covered in mahogany veneer then varnished [ left overs from the re-lamination project you may see on the counter, as i couldn't live with the 1971 Formica].
Edd & Debi
exoduse35
Picture 11.jpg

Picture 13.jpg

Picture 23.jpg

Picture 16.jpg

Picture 20.jpg

Capt Jeff

Member I
Hmmmm....

Indeed.... that is another interesting idea about storage in the microwave. I LOVE the dinnerware cabinet also! I wish I could incorporate something like it on "Sadie Blu", but that is where my breaker panel is..... so.... I am thinking of ridding of my oven as about everything we eat is either cooked on our butane burners ( purchased at Target for $26 each ) or our steamers ( my wife is an extreme health nut and vegetarian, but she now eats talapia, grouper, shrimp and crab just a little). I am from Atlanta Ga originally so I LOVE my cornbread and pinto beans.... but don't like the idea of heating up the cabin with the oven ( it was 80 degrees yesterday on the boat here in Tampa Fl).... so no cornbread on the boat I guess.

The oven is from England and is a very very nice one that one of the previous owners paid over $2k for and will be saved for our next boat ( an Ericson 39' or larger) as we will be living aboard in a few years and the oven has very little use since new.

Anywho... it's my boat as I rescued it BEFORE we got married so..... I do what I want with it....lol. :p So after thinking it over I believe I am going to remove the oven and use the space for the m/w , storage for cookware and dinnerware, and storage for the burners( I love those things!). My wife has about 20 left over butane fuel canisters from when she used to live aboard a couple other boats before we got married so fuel is plentiful for now.

Thanks for the pics and I will take some of my installments and changes also.

Jeff and Lea