• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Crocs Anyone?

u079721

Contributing Partner
Around there there seems to be a backlash of sorts against Crocs - those usually bright colored foam rubber shoes that you see people wearing anywhere from the beach to the office. I had seen them, but never seriously considered them before a visit to Florida last November for a delivery (the "delivery from hell" for those who remember the story) of a boat from Fort Lauderdale to St. Thomas. The skipper was wearing Crocs and couldn't say enough good things about them, especially for sailing. So I picked up a pair for the trip.

And I'm glad I did, because they were just perfect for warm weather boating. You could be rousted from your bunk in the middle of the night for a sail change and slip them on in a second. The traction was good, and they were waterproof too, which made them perfect for being on deck when you knew you were going to get wet. It sure beat having a pair of lether boat shoes getting wet all the time. Not sure how they do it, but in spite of being non-breathable rubber the shoes are comfortable to wear and keep your feet from sweating.

But they are ugly. So ugly that my wife is embarassed to be seen with me if I wear mine around town. One of the radio shows here devoted a whole show to making fun of them and having people phone in to say how ugly they were. No one was calling in to say they were uncomfortable, just that they were ugly. On HBO Bill Maher had as one of his "New Rules" a picture of Crocs with the caption "No Plastic Shoes!"

Living in Minnesota now I won't have that many opportunities to wear them, but I will continue to wear them with pride! (Hey, have YOUR shoes been on an off-shore sailing trip?)

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Crocs

I will second you on the fact of ugliness, but I wear a pair all the time on the boat. I have a pair that are built like a shoe with a leather upper to tie. I did nt like the klog style in all the funky colors, a little too light in the loafers for my personality. What I truly like about them is the protection on the tops of your feet. They are also great for people like me with a bad case of swamp foot. The traction is very good too. But damn there ugly! Rob Hessenius

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
There have been cases of them getting caught in the escalator mechanism and people (mostly kids, I think) getting severely hurt, like losing toes. I don't know if it's the loose straps across the top, or the attachment points that catch.
The company has said that escalator manufacturere have to make their escalators more safe!!
Frank.

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Crocs

My fiance bought me some black Crocs last year for sailing. They're comfortable, they afford good traction, and they're waterproof.

But.

1. Although I don't notice it until I remove them, they make my feet ferment. After half a day in So. Cal. sun, my toes are covered in a white foamy discharge like I've never seen before (coagulated sweat?). And the stuff reeks horribly! So, I have to wash my feet and the Crocs every couple of hours. And for the record, I've never had problems with foot fungus or excessive odors before.

2. One morning I was cleaning lobster in the cockpit, anchored off Catalina Island. A bee flew into a hole over my toes and stung the middle toe of my right foot! 20 minutes later, another bee flew in the same hole and stung me again!!! I blame the fermented toe jam.

Last edited:

Mindscape

Member III
Keen's

I haven't been able to come to grips with the Crocs, but really have enjoyed my Keens. They go off and on easy, provide good toe protection and some overall foot protection. I have the Newport H2 shoe/sandle and a pair of their flip flops (which also have toe protection). The Keen's are still a little goofy looking, but not as goofy (IMHO) as the crocs. I also think the Teva's with Spyder Rubber soles are great and offer the best traction.

Sid

BOATBUMMS
S U V Crocks

They make an off road model . I have even done a Hash House Harrier in them. Been wearing them for 3 years

Sid and Manuela
In and On Paradise
36c #51

msFootrope

Crocs - Comfortable???!!!

I've tried on multiple pair of crocs, as well as the fake crocs, and I refuse to buy a pair because they are UNCOMFORTABLE!!!! I don't understand how anybody can think crocs are comfortable. I would gladly buy ugly shoes as long as they are comfy, but every pair I tried on felt like I was walking on spikes (all those rubber grippy things that poke up into your foot). Am I the only one who feels this way about crocs?

Bob in Va

Member III
2nd opinion

Here's another vote for the Keens. My daughters bought me a pair last year and now they are all I wear (footgear-wise) on the boat unless it's really cold. I like to wear sandals in the summer, and have a pair for normal casual use, but the Keens are saved for sailing days. A feature I especially like is the tightening loop front and back that makes them easy to snug up quickly if you are going to need them to be tight (like when walking on deck), but which can be easily slacked off for sitting around or walking below. Normal sandals on a boat can be disastrous for toes, but the Keens have a protective toe-cap so in case you kick a cleat it doesn't hurt quite so much.

username

Off Road Crocs...

I have a pair of those, and I can't find them anywhere which is bumming me out. But, to the point, I have found that their soft rubber picks up fine dirt like a chalk board eraser, and so I don't wear them on the boat, but they are otherwise very convenient, and the velcro heal strap keeps them on for pick up sport.

Bob in Va

Member III
Keen looks...

Mine are the Venice H-2 as far as I can tell from looking at the pics. I don't consider them unusually ugly, but then I have reached an age where shoe appearance just is not a factor for me in deciding what to buy/wear. Though they have some dark rubber in the soles, they don't mark the deck and they are light and airy and don't absorb water. The deciding feature is the toe-cap. It is pretty robust and will save you from toe damage unless you drop a big anchor on it. That is the make-or-break feature for me - if they had an open toe, I'd wear something else. I thought they were kind of pricey, but will buy another pair when these wear out because they are always the ones I reach for when going sailing unless it's cold.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Keens are...keen!

I've been wear a pair of "Newport" Keens for two years now when I'm sailing or on the beach in the surf. I agree that the toe cap is the best part and these shoes are almost indestructible. As I'm writing this they are in the washer for about the "umpteenth" time. Except when it's really cold, I always have them on sailing. Better then bare feet on deck with all those nasty things sticking up wait to stub your toe. They are expensive but worth every penny and I've gotten compliments on their looks! They're the cool thing to wear around our dock. :cool:

Bud H.

Member II
Count me as one of the Crocs coverts. I would look at them and think, man those are ugly. But I was looking for something I could just slip on and off so I took the plunge. I think they are the most comfortable shoe out there. Great grip on the boat and very comfortable for just walking around. Mine are navy blue so they don’t stand out too much I think. I just saw some at Joes that are in WSU Crimson with the Cougar logo on the strap and I think those are going to be my next pair. As for the elevator I read that it was primarily a problem with children not lifting their feet. Still not good though.

Captainpeter

Member II
Crocs popularity in paradise

I live on the island of Kauai and I'd guess that 1/3 to 1/2 of the folks here have at least one pair of Crocs. At first I was put off by their "ugliness" but when a friend of mine was having foot problems and his podiatrist recommended Crocs (an outside pair and an inside pair) I decided they would be my next shoe purchase.
Aloha,
Peter