• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

NonSkid renewal or preservation

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19934

If the gel coat is too thin or too worn down for safety, Tread Master is one way to put the "non" back into non skid. Of course if the gel coat is that thin, you would likely have to re-surface the deck anyway... and then choose whether to go with a sanded LPU paint or cover the walkway areas with Tread Master.

Nice article on the later material. Good info in general, IMHO, as all of our boats reach 20 and 30+ years, and the original deck gel coat surface needs replacing or covering.

Loren

Last edited:

Kevin Johnston

Member III
Future of non-skid

Twice a year I seal my non-skid with Future acrylic floor polish (the stuff right off of the shelf at the grocery store). I had a live aboard comment a couple of weeks ago that I have the whitest decks at the marina. I have been using Future on my matted finishes for over 15 years and with a boat that is now over 30 years old, the top side is in outstanding shape.

The acrylic makes the matted finish more resilient and it comes alive with a lusterous finish without compromising the non part in the skid. Spring clean up is much easier and quicker, the winter grim is removed with less work.

I use the stuff straight applying it only on the matted area after cleaning and waxing the finished gel coat on the decks. I apply it with a clean dry sponge when the surface is dry. I usually apply two layers twice year. I have never had any drawbacks (no discoloration, etc.), only a glowing finish.

If the decks are maintained maybe I may never have to refinish them with more permanent coating. Just a tip I learned from some old salt.

Last edited:

sleather

Sustaining Member
That is the darndest thing I've heard today! My non-skid is getting somewhat porous, hard to keep the mold out. I've got a bottle in the kitchen right now. Perhaps

Kevin Johnston

Member III
The Future of Non-Skid

I am telling you that you will be amazed at how much easier the non-skid is to maintain. It is definitely less porous with little to no compromise on footing when you have to go fore.

Just trying to keep Ericson's looking better than the other boats in the harbors around the world. What do you folks think, can we keep this one an EricsonYacht.org trade secret?

Last edited:

Mike.Gritten

Member III
IIRC Guy Stevens also recommends Future as a deck finish. This is more corroboration (sp.?) validating the use of this product!

You gotta' love this site.....:egrin:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I know our kitchen floor used to get much more slippy after we applied floor wax (before the days of no-wax vinyl). Wouldn't it have that same effect on the non-skid deck surface? While I like to keep the boat looking good, I don't want the crew sliding overboard! :esad:

Frank.

Kevin Johnston

Member III
Non-skid

Future is an acrylic not a wax and my personal experience is that I lost very little if any footing on my decks while under sail, while heeling, with rolling seas and with saltwater spray on the deck's surfaces when I had to go forward to either put in a reef or change headsaills. I and my crew are still sure footed with Future on the decks but good deck shoes add to this.

My boat like many others out there can sit for months on end due to the winter season and it sure makes the boat clean up well come Spring. If you think it could compromise your footing than maybe using it as part of your wintering routine could be justified and than skip my recommendation in your Spring preparation for the sailing season.

Another tread on EY.o references the use of Future to, see Nonskid:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=3552

Last edited:

sleather

Sustaining Member
I have noticed after using Future on my floor, that running around w/ wet feet it's actually stickier, smoother=molecular attraction! We're sounding like a bunch of old housewives.

Given that you have to do something to your non-skid (I haven't, I will not use wax, and I am paying the price), I think that w/ the aforementioned testimonials that I'm going to giver-a-go, the non-skid is there for water removal(texture) and it wont affect that, unless you get "acrylic buildup", that stuff has some volume to it. What the hell YKNOT

Now if Future would add UV inhibitors!

Last edited: