• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Main Sheets

Bardo

Member II
Okay, in reading another new thread on this forum today, I got to thinking about single-handing. I am looking for an E-34, and they all seem to have the coach-top traveler configuration. How does this layout work for sailing from the aft steering station? I know you have the winches back there, so do you just use the self tailing winches and tie off that way while you are sailing? Or do you have to hump it up to the companionway every time you want to trim? Sorry to be ignorant, but I am....Thanks!

Freeman

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
The E38 is setup with coach roof mainsheet winch and self tailers on the coaming adjacent to the wheel for the genoa. I'm guessing that this is very similar to other E-boats. If you are just beating upwind then tacking doesn't require any additional trimming once its set. You just tack and deal with the genoa sheets. This can be does easily from behind the wheel on the E38. The process changes a bit when the main needs to be trimmed such as transitioning from close hauled to a deep reach. I usually start by easing the main at the coach roof and reaching back around to correct course. Once on course I finish trimming the main. Its not so bad doing it all from in front of the wheel. You just have to think about what you are doing before you do it. I have wondered how difficult it would be to lead the mainsheet all the way aft to a secondary self tailer at the coaming behind the wheel. While certainly doable I don't think it would be the best idea for anything other than a single-handed ocean cruiser. Even then, the steering is usually done for you allowing plenty of time to deal with the sail trim. RT

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Otto von pilot

A good AP will solve all of this-at much less cost and hassle than trying to reconfigure the 'pit..
S

Sam Vickery

Member III
main sail trim from the wheel

I have recently started to single hand my 32-3 (I simply love it). What seems to work for me is to:

1. Release the mainsheet clutch
2. Take a couple of wraps around the winch on the cabin roof
3. Lead the mainsheet back to a cleat behind the primary winch

This makes it pretty comfortable to ease the mainsheet without leaving the helm. When the wind picks up it can be a bit a challenge sheeting in....but it is certainly doable.

I hope this helps.

Sam
E 32-3

Mindscape

Member III
Single Handing

I single hand my 32-3 quite often and it's not bad reaching the main sheet, either getting the helm balanced (far and few between) or locking the wheel for a couple of seconds. Steering from in front of the wheel is pretty easy as well. As Seth said, an auto pilot makes all this very easy and is the best solution (IMHO).