• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

e27 outboard mounting

chuckd

Member I
Does anyone have the outboard on their e27 mounted in the transom cutout. When I bought my e27 the outboard was mounted on a motor mount attached to the port side of the transom. I have been considering moving it back to the transom cutout. My only concern is that it will not tilt copmpletely out of the water. Anyone have any experiemce with this? Thanks.

- Chuckd

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Outboard

I've got an outboard in my transom cutout. The previous owner had an 8hp Evinrude two stroke (20 inch shaft) that fit perfectly although pop out of the water at the least size swells. I recently replaced it with a Tohatsu 9.8, 25" shaft. The motor tilts out of the water fine. However, above 6 knots, downwind the prop just starts to drag a bit. Going to weather is never a problem though. Another disadvantage with the larger 4 stroke is that it is not possibe to steer with the motor. The opening is to narrow for the outboards tiller. I've resoted to only steering with the tiller and planning ahead for any situation.

Grant Kiba
'73 E27, #406

chuckd

Member I
thanks Grant

Thanks,
I am in the same situation. I currently have (what I believe is the original) 8hp Evinrude. I plan on replacing it with a Tohatsu 9.8 The previous owner has moved the motor from the transom cutout to a motor mount on the transom. This makes it very difficult to reach any of the controls. This is especially true if you are at the front of the cockpit with the tiller. I believe that having the motor in the cutout will make it much easier to operate. Too bad about the steering. It is nice to be able to turn the motor. Thanks for the info.

- Chuckd

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Tiller too

Chuck,
"Tiller only" stearing is not too bad. The 9.8 has a lot of pull and the boat gets to hull speed and steerage alot quicker. I now see 5+ knots at less than 1/3 throttle. And the electric start - great thing to have.

One thing I did discover two weeks ago when leaving the slip under a good cross breeze. Too much throttle with tiller hard over causes cavitation and a lose of steerage. I had to back off the gas and straighten the tiller to regain control. Live and learn I guess.

Good luck with your new motor. I bought online and everything workout great.

Grant Kiba
'73 E27, #406

E27Peregrine

having an E27 with a cutout transom is a stroke of luck!

Only 20 to 30 percent of the 27s were built with the stern cutout
We are sure lucky not to have a greasy stinking inboard.
We have clean dry bilges, no shaft to corrode and a clean underbody with no drag:egrin:

And as for that clean dry empty space where the diesel would go..well it makes a great sail locker..

Cutout E27s rule!!

-Scott Church
E27 Peregrine
1972 #201

Dave Hussey

Member III
In another post, you said your boat sailed from Hawaii to California (in an amazing 28 days too, I might add !!!) Was the transom cut-out ever a concern?

E27Peregrine

back in the day..

I didn't own her when she made that big jump, and as for me personally I've never had a wave fill my cockpit.

Anybody else have a wave fill up their cockpit?
Bet it drains fast!:egrin:

bigtyme805

Member III
My previous boat had the the same setup as Peregrine and the outboard was the best part of boat. I never had a problem with steering and I had the new 9.9 Honda long shaft 25 inches. It got out water fine and steering with rudder was a no-brainer. I sailed to Hawaii and never got swamped, but did have waves fly into cockpit and it drained so fast from that opening in the stern.

I now have the diesel on my new boat and it is different so many more things to worry about, $$$$$$.

Here is a pic

Attachments

• Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 131

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
30+?

Don,
How's the 30+ doing. A friend that owns a 32-3 and I were sailing on Sunday said the 30+ is a fast great sailing boat. He highly recommended the move up to me from my E27.

Grant Kiba
'73 E27, #406

bigtyme805

Member III
It is a great boat really like the feel, heading to Mexico with it for a month and it will allow me to really give you the real heads up.

Just came from the Channel Islands and it was blowing 25k and she handled well with one reef point in the main. Although had a new crew member at the helm and he couldnt handle it, was a little scared. Surfing down the waves doing 11 knots scared the shit out of him and waves coming over the bow. Actually had to close the hatch because dodger is not done yet.

Hey Grant if you find one and you feel the need to move up I would give you the thumbs up. My friend who sails a Catalina 30 is envious and had no idea these boats were that good. He is trying to find a E30+ and off his boat.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
30+

Sounds like good advice. 30+ will be on my horizon, someday... I sail with and crew on three Catalina 30s and an Islander 28 at times. Each boat has it's strong points. Also here's a pic of my friends E32-3. Neat boat, he may be relocating to Socal soon but might sell the boat up here. It's a wing keel. Fast downwind and well kept up. Have a great sail south and be sure to take plenty of snapshots for your site. Love to browse it and hope to see your new boat online.

Good Luck
Grant Kiba
'73 E27, #406

Attachments

• IMG_2830a1-600x400.jpg
    IMG_2830a1-600x400.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 136

bigtyme805

Member III
Hi Grant,

That 32 is a great looking boat. I looked for one in good condition but it would not fit into my slip and would have had to buy new slip and in Santa Barbara slip prices are crazy.

I like the 32-3. I especially like the one with the aft cabin. Gives a guy a little more room to sleep.

Many pics are on the horizon. I just took some of Anacapa Island when I was out there this weekend. Interesting little island. www.ericson27.org

Keep in touch