Exterior Teak Question

mgray003

Member II
I just got my 77 E-25 in the water. I want to refinish all of the exterior wood on my boat. Any suggestions? It appears that each handrail is attached by only 2 screws. Could that be right, or are there some attachments I cannot see? Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Teak

Mike- My handrails on my 25 are attached between each loop. I think in 6 places. Im talking about the handrails across the top of the cabin. You should see the nuts and washers down below on the ceiling below. One screw should be in the head and one in the closet too. BOL. Rob Hessenius

mgray003

Member II
Rob,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm talking about the handrails above the cabin. I really expected to see what you described in my cabin, but it appears mine are attached differently than yours. On my boat, the nuts and washers appear to be concealed above an interior ceiling of the cabin (I don't know how better to describe it). I see only two small round flat caps (that obviously hide access to the nuts) that appear to line up with the front and rear end "loop" of the handrails....and yes, one of those caps is in the head, and another above the closet.
I have not yet pulled the caps to look up there (still cleaning and working on an outboard problem). One of the members of my sailing club told me that he thought there were only 2 places where each rail was attached....because we could see only those 2 caps....but when I put pressure on the rails I can tell they are attached at every loop (as you say) some way. But I do not see access to other nuts. I was wondering if there is some dovetail type of arrangement, that slides forward or back, to attach the other loops....or maybe I have to remove the false ceiling panel.
I'm not going to jump into this project until I have a pretty good understanding of what is ahead of me removing and replacing the handrails. Refinishing the wood will be the easy part. Thanks, Mike

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
There are probably teak plugs in the covering screws that go into the fiberglass at each point that the wood touches the carriage roof. You would have to remove these plugs and that will give access to the screws. Look at the owner’s manual on this site and it will have a diagram of handrail installation, it may show through bolting with inner and outer hand rails. If you have only outer they would be screwed on instead of through bolted.

mgray003

Member II
The plugs that we are referring to in my boat are chrome (or stainless steel). But I see only two per side. Thanks, though,
Mike

paul culver

Member III
Mike

I think Randy R. has it right. Look again real close looking down on the rail from topside. It might be that the rail is stained so the teak plugs are difficult to see.

--Paul
E29 "Bear"

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Grab Rails

My '73 E27 has grab rails that are attached with screws at the ends as you described. The screws in the loops thread into inserts molded into the cabin top. I think this is a standard Ericson pactice.