• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

S2 Propane sniffer puzzle--any advice?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We have an S2 propane sniffer on our E30+ which must be turned "on" after the propane valve is opened, and the stove button on the panel is turned on, in order to get propane to the stove/oven. It has a green light to indicate when it is on.

During a recent sailing trip, after going through the steps listed above, the green light didn't come on. However, the red test lights beside the green light did light up and the alarm sounded and the mute button turned off the alarm. We did have propane at the stove, and it all worked normally.

I took apart the propane sniffer, hoping to replace the light bulb and discovered the small LED light inside (it looked like the back of an older transister radio, with no serviceable parts). I then checked all the wiring connections for the sniffer, and they all seemed tight--and still no green "on" light, though it continued to work as normal.

I tried to contact the company for advice/parts, but their phone is out of service, so I'm assuming they are long gone.

A couple of days after we resigned ourselves to using the system without an "on" light, the light reappeared, only to go out a few minutes later. And next day, the light came on again and stayed on until we turned it off several hours later.

I would appreciate any thoughts/advice on why this may be happening, and any suggestions for a remedy. I love that it's on again, but would like to understand why this problem occured, and what I can do about it if it reoccurs.

Thanks,
Frank.

Shadowfax

Member III
Obviously the bulb is good. Is it a printed circuit? I say this because you say it looked like the back of a transistor radio. If not, loose ground wire? Corroded connection somewhere? Is the LED light in a socket or wired in? If socket, it might be corroded.
In any event if it continues to work erratically I'd replace it. Cheaper then replacing the boat if you have a leak and the unit isn't working right.

Mikebat

Member III
If I may jump in here, how are these things supposed to work? Mine takes a day or more to finally sense propane and allow the stove to remain on. I have to open the propane valve well before I plan to use the stove. The button doesn't seem to mute the alarm, it just resets it, and if there is still no propane, it alarms and shuts off the propane flow to the stove again. I don't have any manual for the thing, so any pointers are welcome.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thanks for your replies so far. The circuit is a complicated combination of rigid wires with small barrell-like things, and the LED light is similarly attached to a rigid silver wire--it looks like the back of a transistor radio. There is no socket, no "electrical" wires like for a lamp connection or normal electronics--it all looks manufactured with no removable or serviceable parts.

Yes, clearly the LED light is functional, but there does not appear to be any way for there to be a short circuit or loose connection. There is no positive/negative wire/terminal/connection on the back of the sensor--just a set of eight very thin wires, like telephone wires or thinner, all stuck together, that go to a separate terminal--those connections are the ones I tightened, though none appeared lose, and even after tightening, the light didn't come on til much later.

I just can't understand how a light can come on, then go off, then another time come on and stay on, all while the boat is stationary at dock, with no real possibility of a loose connection or short circuit--still a puzzle.

Mike, as to your question, mine always worked immediately, once I had turned on the gate valve and red valve at the propane tank to get the propane flowing, then turned on the stove at the DC electrical panel, and pushed the sensor "on" button. I have no explanation as to why it would take a long time to work; clearly something isn't right there. Maybe someone with electrical/gas fitting expertise can provide some answers.

Thanks for the replies so far; I continue to welcome any thoughts on this.

Frank.