• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Yacht Specialties Pedestal Upgrade

Maine Sail

Member III
Hi All,

I have been very frustrated owning a pedestal no longer made and parts availability is getting very scarce. Since I have end boom sheeting on my boat I could not add an offset pedestal guard. So I had to devise my own way of mounting my electronics at the helm. After much thought I decided the best way was a larger top plate. Since I have a fairly wide wheel I decided to make a new pedestal top plate out of Starboard big enough to mount electronics on but not to wide to walk around. I used the old top plate as a template for drilling my holes perfectly by screwing it directly to the Starboard and then drilling the 1" pedestal guard and compass holes.

On the Starboard side I have a Navpod with my Garmin 182C and on the port side I will install the same size Navpod with a Raymarine Autopilot and a depth gauge. I still have plenty or real estate to mount other stuff too. This is a very easy and relatively cheap upgrade. I paid $27.00 for the Starboard at Hamilton Marine and $19.00 for a hole saw. I already had the Navpod for the Garmin and ordered an uncut version for the port side for $115.00. Even buying two Navpod Power Pods you're going to be less money than a new top plate, pedestal guard and navpods for the guard. Plus you still retain your 12.5 on center feet and won't need to drill new holes in your cockpit sole..

Attachments

• 82315150.jpg
    82315150.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,010

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I will take one Rodd! Great idea. I am constantly looking at mine trying to figure out the best way to re-mount my gps so it can be swiveled from side to side. I love sitting on the rail while sailing. I am also in the middle of devising some folding seats to sit on at the top of the coaming. Currently only 1 cheek fits!

My new folding wheel works great and even though it is an additional 4 inches in diameter, it is easier to get around even while open as it has a slight dish to it.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Starboard thickness

Maine Sail,

Somewhere else you said "To make this pedestal platform I used 3/4 inch thick Starboard and traced the
pedestal guards top plate onto it." But I'm figuring that's a typo, since the Starboard doesn;t look that thick in the photos.

How thick was it? What do you think the thickness would have to be for the top plate to remain unsupported?
Thanks,
Christian