• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Steering gear maintenance

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
I can probably intuit the answer but can someone tell me the easiest way to get at the quadrant and cables/sheaves etc. just for inspection, lubrication and maybe adjustment in an E35III. I've spent some quality time in the cockpit locker removing the diaphragm pump and installing a variable speed unit. Getting to the rear seems difficult.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
And the pedestal chain too, please

Could you also describe how to get at the pedestal chain and whatever else is inside there for steering, and what maintenance it may need? It's a Yacht Specialties pedestal.
Thanks,
Frank.

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
Frank,
The chain is pretty easy to get to once you remove the compass. The machine screws which hold the compass in place often extend into threaded holes in the top of the pedestal. Once the pedestal top plate is off, the chain, sprocket, brake and control cables are in plain sight.

Steve Murray

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
Frank,
Not much goes wrong at the top end of the steering. You should check for worn teeth on the sprocket; worn rollers on the chain and, the attachment of the chain to the cables. Very often it is a Norseman type fitting for the chain/cable attachment.
A little grease on the chain every year is good. If you can dribble some oil into the ends of the engine control cables it helps.
I have had some luck with Edson for finding parts from defunct equipment manufacturers. They seem to feel for us.

Steve

Frank Langer

Thanks, Steve. As the boat is still relatively new to me, I'm still learning about all this stuff, but gradually working my way through my maintenance list. It sounds as if this job is a relatively easy one, especially now that I know what to look for.
Thanks again!
Frank.

tilwinter

Member III
steering maintenance

Nigel Calder says to lubricate the chain and the bushings in the steering pedestel with 30w motor oil. My wheel did turn much easier after the bushings were lubed.

Also, I found that the nuts on the end of the steering cable need some attention to make sure the the second nut, the "locking nut" is adequately tightened.

Frank Langer

Thanks, Rod. I would have thought 30W oil for the chain, but perhaps a grease for the bushings. It's good to know that the oil will work for both.
Frank