• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2008 NW Ericson Rendezvous - Discussion

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Once again, I'm the jumping the gun here...

It was good fun seeing everyone in Port Townsend, and the Canadians were represented by a beautiful E41...

When ready, we have lots to discuss - where the next one will be - if smaller regional (read - north/south of the border) meets are held in addition to the main annual, etc... Some people at the NWER-07 suggested staying in Port Townsend, however that needs to be discussed among everyone...

From last year's poll, it appears that people want to dodge Father's Day, and run the event across the border - so, to get the ball rolling - how about this:

If we were to make Port Townsend the US annual location, is there a location on the BC-side that has similar ammenities (cars can reach, affordable hotels, walking distance to nightlife/town, etc)?

Whenever you guys get back from sailing and want to discuss...

:egrin:

//sse

Stuart

Member II
2008 Rendezvous/Regatta???????

Hi All
Another thought, completely different……..a rendezvous regatta
I attend an annual regatta in a different part or the world each year, we charter breakable bendy toys or the equivalent modern production yacht and race them. For us it’s a week all about sailing, well maybe we have the odd beer or so but we sail, everyday no matter what. Our experienced people ( some have been doing this for 26 years) help the inexperienced gain the confidence to sail in some conditions that might be called , well challenging. As we are a group we look out for each other, nothing like a little peer pressure to make you hoist the sails and head out when you normally wouldn’t. Not that we are foolish, a hurricane is a hurricane, a good time to be in the bar! I have learned much about sailing on this short adventure each year, not to mention a great time.

Sooo….ooooo….the 2008 Ericson rendezvous, sail from the south, sail from the north, (in groups?) meet in the middle on a Wednesday, race Thursday, race Friday arrive in the destination Friday early PM and party for a couple of days then sail home or go wherever. Say we do this in July or August when we can have some time. The thought of the Thursday port is a place where our travelling Vikings could meet and hop a ride on Friday, to the finial port.
Needles to say I have routes in mind but I will hold that thought for a little feedback on the concept. Comments and thoughts please.
Cheers
Stuart……now in Comox BC

S Ellis

Member I
Rendezvous/ racing

Hey, now this sounds like a plan. It'd be fun to have a few fun races going up against other Ericsons. Makes for a better party when everyone can tell stories about why they didn't do as well as they should/could have!! Steve

Kevin Johnston

Member III
Two thumbs up

Stuart,
I am hoping to make the gathering this year. Over ten years ago I got a flyer left on my E27 for the Rendevous and I may finally make it happen.

I like the idea of some thrilling sailing and the Straits (Georgia or Juan de Fuca) could offer some challenging conditions.

If we stay with Port Townsend as our final destination, there are some good day sails around Protection Island and there is another small island out there off the west shores of Whidbey (I forgot its name) which could offer some good sailing. Routes could be determined on prevailing wind and water conditions.

Sequim Bay has John Wayne Marina and a state park the would make a good day up and a day back; to and from Port Townsend. Not set on any one of these, they are just some thoughts.
KJ

Last edited:

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Rendezvous 2008

If the rendezvous is held in Victoria Harbour. A race committee can be provided by the Canadian Forces Sailing association and free moorage at the club, a ten dololar donation to the victoria disabled sailing association from each boat would get a temporary PHRF rating, Cheap Booze and a BBQ could be arranged The non Racers would go to Victoria Harbour and the racers would join them after the race in th Strait of Juan de Fuca back in Victoria
Harbour The prettiest working Harbour of them all with lots on amenities for every one. non racers could crew with people who are going to race. Transportation could be arrange to and from Esquimalt to Victoria (8miles)
Friday nights pre race party at CFSA could be fun, with two races happening on Saturday, comments ? Ideas ? feedback? I am sure I can get donations and goodies from the Victoria merchants THe Morrage in Victoria Harbour is
amongst the best and you are right down town . Well what do you think:egrin::egrin:

Charlie sv-eden@telus.net 250 478 3669 E30+ #720 PHRF 190

Stuart

Member II
2008 rendezvous

This sounds pretty cool, the cost for moorage is good and the harbor is a wonderful spot, we sat there for several days trying to get to Sooke, not too hard to take, great area with lot to do for all.
As a side thought we could pick up any fly ins in Sidney (Anacortes to Sidney ferry)and sail to Victoria, a long day but potentially a great sail. Perhaps the first race????
Having said this, we are going to Denmark for a sailing race this May /June 2008. So if the dates remain the same as last year, I can only wish you all, all the best!
Cheers
Stuart

Spirit Moon

Member II
Victoria's inner harbour is certainly a great location. I work in a building across the street from the docks and observed a great many yacht club gatherings and rendezvoux Though like PT for some up here, Victoria it is a pretty long haul for those across the straight and further into Puget Sound. For those of us working Fridays and having to be back in the office first thing Monday without fail a Sat / Sun long sail in and back makes the actual time at the gathering minimal or just doesn't allow many to go. That was my case last year. I know from reading the forum that long weekends are not always the best option either. I personally don't care which country it is held in as long as it is in a location most likely to be central to the fleet. Always a challenge to be sure.
Frank P
E38 Spirit Moon
Victoria

hodo

Member III
2008 Rv

Canadian Forces Sailing Association. That sounds familiar. Is there a guy there named Jean-Guy, wife Fran, Nadeau, that belongs to that group? That"s OK it still sounds like a good plan. Seriously, if they are, tell them HI from Harold and Jessie, they are great folks. Any body got any more input? We are going to be where ever it is being done, as far as I know. Do I need to order more apple pie? I know loren and sean are already saying "well, duh!"
Harold & Jessie, S/V Mischief :devil: Maker

chasandjudy

chas and judy
to say "HELLO"

Canadian Forces Sailing Association. That sounds familiar. Is there a guy there named Jean-Guy, wife Fran, Nadeau, that belongs to that group? That"s OK it still sounds like a good plan. Seriously, if they are, tell them HI from Harold and Jessie, they are great folks. Any body got any more input? We are going to be where ever it is being done, as far as I know. Do I need to order more apple pie? I know loren and sean are already saying "well, duh!"
Harold & Jessie, S/V Mischief :devil: Maker

Yes, Jean-Guy and his wife are members of CFSA he keeps his boat "Antares" just over on the next float his E mail is jgnadeau@pacificcoast.net he is a past commodore of the club
If the rendezvous is going to be July 4 this year I have to know soon as to where ? and date ? to make the racing arrangements it is a pretty busy tourist time that weekend in Victoria Harbour..

chas and judy Eden E 30+:egrin:

chasandjudy

chas and judy
get our ships together

Victoria's inner harbour is certainly a great location. I work in a building across the street from the docks and observed a great many yacht club gatherings and rendezvoux Though like PT for some up here, Victoria it is a pretty long haul for those across the straight and further into Puget Sound. For those of us working Fridays and having to be back in the office first thing Monday without fail a Sat / Sun long sail in and back makes the actual time at the gathering minimal or just doesn't allow many to go. That was my case last year. I know from reading the forum that long weekends are not always the best option either. I personally don't care which country it is held in as long as it is in a location most likely to be central to the fleet. Always a challenge to be sure.
Frank P
E38 Spirit Moon
Victoria

Hi! from chas and judi on Eden an E30+ where do you keep your boat?
my phone # is 250 888 4503 give me a call as I enjoy meeting other Ericson owners, I'll bring my boat to the Harbour one morning may be you can take off for lunch on Eden?
Charlie

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Near Victoria? Great!

(copy pasted from Charles' discussion in another forum, 1-4-08)
"Further on Rendezvous 08 .The Victoria Disabled sailing association will host a race for us off the Victoria water front for a donation of $10.00 per boat and the Canadian Forces Sailing Accociation will supply moorage at fifty cents a foot.for 30 Ericsons A steak dinner for seven dollars and the use of the clubhouse . the bar will be open (Military Mess prices). So if we are going to take them up on this offer we should act soon , like now . Those taking part in the race stay at CFSA Friday Night. Ten am start Saturday morning 4 hr. race off the water front course TBA . steak dinner in the club, and libations , prizes . Those non racers who are staying in Victoria"s Inner Harbour we will get you to the club house for dinner some how. Depending on how many boats leave for their club cruise and go racing at other locations there could be room for over 40 boats THere also is good anchorage in Esquimalt Harbour by Coal Island ,Stewart please phone me and we can work out the logistics.
Charles Pash 1 250 478 3669 or cell # 1 250 888 4503 "

:)
Regards,
Loren in Portland
Olson 34 Fresh Air

chasandjudy

chas and judy
(copy pasted from Charles' discussion in another forum, 1-4-08)
"Further on Rendezvous 08 .The Victoria Disabled sailing association will host a race for us off the Victoria water front for a donation of $10.00 per boat and the Canadian Forces Sailing Accociation will supply moorage at fifty cents a foot.for 30 Ericsons A steak dinner for seven dollars and the use of the clubhouse . the bar will be open (Military Mess prices). So if we are going to take them up on this offer we should act soon , like now . Those taking part in the race stay at CFSA Friday Night. Ten am start Saturday morning 4 hr. race off the water front course TBA . steak dinner in the club, and libations , prizes . Those non racers who are staying in Victoria"s Inner Harbour we will get you to the club house for dinner some how. Depending on how many boats leave for their club cruise and go racing at other locations there could be room for over 40 boats THere also is good anchorage in Esquimalt Harbour by Coal Island ,Stewart please phone me and we can work out the logistics.
Charles Pash 1 250 478 3669 or cell # 1 250 888 4503 "

:)
Regards,
Loren in Portland
Olson 34 Fresh Air

further on rendezvous 08 regards CFSA dock in Esquimalt Harbour. Yes to Lorenin Portland (Olson 34) Freash Air you can stay at CFSA dock. As there will always be boats out. What we are banking on here at CFSA for the forth of July weekend most of our boats will be away for the weekend re- club cruise and the racing group out racing . and we will put any Ericksons that show ( providing this is what we are going to do) I have trouble making plans without a solid decission bu our group..
Regards Charlie in Victoria on Eden E30+

Diligence

Has anything been decided? When? Where? I want to try to make it this year.

Once again, I'm the jumping the gun here...

It was good fun seeing everyone in Port Townsend, and the Canadians were represented by a beautiful E41...

When ready, we have lots to discuss - where the next one will be - if smaller regional (read - north/south of the border) meets are held in addition to the main annual, etc... Some people at the NWER-07 suggested staying in Port Townsend, however that needs to be discussed among everyone...

From last year's poll, it appears that people want to dodge Father's Day, and run the event across the border - so, to get the ball rolling - how about this:

If we were to make Port Townsend the US annual location, is there a location on the BC-side that has similar ammenities (cars can reach, affordable hotels, walking distance to nightlife/town, etc)?

Whenever you guys get back from sailing and want to discuss...

//sse

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
EY.o is Not In Charge of the 2008 Rendezvous

Sorry - but EY.o (specifically, me) is not organizing the 2008 Rendezvous. Shawn did it last year, and Stuart the two before; I think that (it sounds like) indecision on when/where to meet this year got stuck - so I'm not even sure if there is an event...

I've been tied up with school work (thesis) right now - and won't be able to go anywhere this year (especially with gas costing $4.25 a gallon)...

Loren, can you or some of the Canadians start a thread with whatever the plans are to meet this year?

Thanks,
//sse

CaptDan

Member III
It seems a bit late to do it now - perhaps late summer?

//sse

I've been conversing with Mike Gritten back channel about WheelPilots, and I get the impression SOMETHING'S in the works for July 4 weekend. Perhaps Mike will jump in for an update.

As for myself, I'd LOVE to attend, again riding the 40 knot Clipper up to Victoria. However, I've added a second part time skippering job to my schedule, and it looks as though that weekend is booked.

I should know for sure by the 21st.

Hope to see all the fine Vikings again - whether next month or later.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Mike.Gritten

Member III
I'm sorry that we have kind of dropped the ball this year, but we needed an organizer to take up the cause in Stuart's and Shawn's absence and I simply didn't have the time to do it this year. So, this is where I'm at with the Rendezvous. Lynne and I are taking 2 weeks vacation and going sailing in the Gulf Islands/Vancouver Island cruising area. We haven't been able to "fix" a readily accessible harbour in or around Victoria and the tall ships are there over the weekend of June 28-29 (the weekend before our supposed Rendezvous). I don't even know for sure if we can get moorage in Sidney. So, I am proposing that we try and meet casually at some anchorage or harbour in the vicinity. Lynne and I will not be able to go to the San Juans as we have not applied for a permit to take the boat into the 'States.
We have no firm plans to be anywhere at any particular time, as we want to "sail" our boat everywhere this year, instead of motoring to a destination and sailing when conditions are ideal. The journey IS the destination!
We would be thrilled to meet up with some of you and would like to suggest that we set up an informal "Ericson Radio Net" on one of the VHF channels to be specified here. The "net" could be held at 1900 hrs each day calling a roll and seeing who is out and about. We could try and cross tracks somewhere that's convenient to whoever is interested.
We're certainly not suggesting that anybody change plans to accomodate us. By all means, if you've made plans and have moorage arranged close to Victoria, go for it! I'm just saying that we won't be able to be there, but we will be in the area enjoying some of the best cruising grounds in the world. Come and join us if you want!

Mike.Gritten

Member III
We are setting out on the afternoon of the 27th of June for two weeks or so of cruising in the Gulf Islands. We will make an "All stations..." call on VHF channel 09 at 1900 hrs each day, looking for any Ericson yachts in the vicinity. If you're out and in the area, give us a hail and we'll hook up for drinks, dinner, or whatever seems like fun. We look forward to seeing you all "out there".

cheers,

Mike and Lynne Gritten
s/v Papillon 1975 E35 MkII #397
VA7MBG

Last edited:

CaptDan

Member III
Just got word of my schedule for that weekend and it's going to knock me out of the proceedings - whatever they may be - this year.:esad:

I hope everyone who makes it to Victoria has a great time. Sorry I won't be able to make it, but I gotsta bring in the boat bux when they're flowing.:rolleyes:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

CaptDan

Member III
I hope to hook up with you guys too.

In any event, you'll have ample opportunity to shake down that new mains'l rig.:egrin:

Capt Dan G>35II "Kunu"