• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New small generator/heater?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Okay, you gotta check this out. http://www.whispergen.com/ Quite simply, it looks like the perfect solution for those of us that want a small genset AND heat. The product sounds really good. Its pretty small, about 17"x19"x15", about 200lbs and uses @1/3gallon of diesel/hr. Granted, it "only" produces 800watts but this seems like plenty to keep up with most of the boats I see around. Whats not to like? I'm guessing it isn't cheap. Very cool though. RT

tilwinter

Member III
generator

I am interested in the complexity of the install on this little generator. The picture of the generator itself looks very minimalistic, but I am sure you need two additional thru-hulls, plus an in-line filter for the cooling water, not to mention an exhaust system.

I would figure that all of this would greatly increase the cost of the install.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
How about some pics Ben? Would like to see where you put it and how its hooked in. How do you like the unit? RT

stbdtack

Member III
I mounted it on a shelf i built behind the engine and forward of the waterheater.

Its a snug fit but i wanted the weight low and on the centerline. i had to move my start battery to the "trashbin" space. i never used it for garbage anyway.

I was going to add a sound shield but the noise is not bad at all, very much quieter than the main engine. Being able to hear it gives me an indication if its running well too. I added an extra blower connected to the cowl on the transom to get rid of the added heat.

so much nicer to run this unit instead of the main engine for charging. I can also make hot water using the inverter.

It puts out a solid 120 amps at 2500rpm even when hot. I like the slower/quieter speed (max is 3000) and its about the max my 470 Ahr bank should get. Suppose to use about 1/8 gal/hr but i havent run it enough to check this out.

I dont worry about power usage anymore as this thing charges the bank really fast and quietly. That and the watermaker are the best things Ive put on the boat for cruising....:egrin:

I'll snap some pics and post when i get back to San Diego in a couple of weeks.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Excellent! You put it exactly where I would have. I have looked into small gensets but don't really need one right now, just collecting all the info for the when and if of cruising. The watermaker interests me as well. What did you choose and where did you put that? My dream is to cruise my E38 and picking someone brain for ideas who is actually doing it, well, you get the idea.... Thanks, RT :egrin:

stbdtack

Member III
i got the spectra 150 and love it. 8.5 amps at 6.2 gal/hr and 35lbs. Ill snap pics of it and the genset when im back on the boat....

stbdtack

Member III
genset/WM pics...

Rob, here are some pics of the genset and the watermaker.... the watermaker is mounted in the stbd cockpit locker up near the toerail, the membrane is mounted above that in the coaming space (under the primary winch):cool:

Attachments

• 12vgenset 001.jpg
    12vgenset 001.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 12vgenset 012.jpg
    12vgenset 012.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 91
  • spectra1.jpg
    spectra1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 61
  • controls.jpg
    controls.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 77
  • Spectra2.jpg
    Spectra2.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 65

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Ben

What does the 12V gen-set cost? I sent an email to the Water-maker store/Generator site and have received no reply.

stbdtack

Member III
randy,

mine was about 5K if i remember correctly. try contacting dory at the numbers below. she is usually easy to reach....or will return a call quickly.
she is super friendly and helpful:egrin:

Dory Thompson

Manager - Sales & Marketing, Water Solutions
Pacific Consolidated Industries LLC
12201 Magnolia Avenue
Riverside, CA 92503-4820

dthompson@pci-intl.com
Phone: (951) 479-0860 Ext. 297
Fax: (951) 479-0861
Cell: (619) 889-3242

www.pci-intl.com