• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Santa Barbara Island Visit. Need Advice.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thinking about a Santa Barbara Island Visit.

I would love to hear from anyone who had done this and share any specifics about what to expect. Such as, approach, hazards, kelp beds, anchoring and getting ashore.

My plan is to sail to Cat Harbor from San Pedro. Spend the night at Cat Harbor and head for Santa Barbara Island early the next morning. I have read that it is a good idea to leave early because the prevailing winds can be often on the nose. I am planing my trip for the week of July 22 - 28.

Thank You in advance.

paul culver

Member III
I've only been there once about 15 years ago when I was crewing on my father in law's boat. We were heading north by way of the outer passage and the NW weather got nasty so he anchored off the the SE part of SB Island for the night. It was a very effective shelter. I think you can tell from the chart where we probably were. Main thing I remember is some very strong cycles of wind blowing over the island and down to our anchorage around sunset. They're called willy-wahs -- don't know the correct spelling. We didn't go on shore.

Eager to hear what you find out.

--Paul
E29 "Bear"

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thanks Paul,

I have read that about the wind. I have also read that sometimes the kelp is so thick it makes it very hard to get into anchor around the landing dock. Speaking of the landing dock, I guess they get a lot of big surges there. It can make it very hard to climb the ladder let alone get off your dinghy. No where else to land. Cliffs and angry sea lions every where else.

I hope Sven chimes in. I think he sailed there twice from Marina Del Rey on his E-23 La Petite.

Thanks for sharing Paul.

Jeff

paul culver

Member III
The red circle I added to the chart shows the area where we anchored.

Attachments

• SantaBarbara2.jpg
    SantaBarbara2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 59

bigtyme805

Member III
Hey Jeff been there and nothing I would want to write home about. Nothing there, the guy was right about the sea lions and the currents. Kelp beds are terrible. I only stopped there on way to Catalina. The positive is you can say you have been there.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
"Because it's there"

Thanks Don,

I think that's the main reason I want to go. "Because it's there". Did you drop the hook and spend the night? If so, how was it and where did you anchor? By the way, how's the new boat doing?

Cheers

windjunkee

Member III
Jeff,

We took Voice of Reason out there last October. We really made it a day trip, because we wanted to use the trip back as night spinnaker sailing experience.

Anyway the trip over was great as we saw a whole bunch of blue whales.

The wind was light over AND back, except it was very windy right at the Island. We anchored close to the landing and there was some swell effect there. Even though we were on the backside of the island from the prevailing swell, the wrap around was pretty significant. In fact, 4 from my crew (I stayed behind on anchor watch and I am sooooo glad I did) were in the dinghy and while approaching the landing ladder, they were flipped by a swell and three went into the water. There's not much there. It is more a case of saying that you've been there, then actually seeing anything. Its a blustery rock with a little scrub grass.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
It's starting to look less appealing

It's starting to look less appealing. I guess this falls into the category of, "It's not about the destination, it's about the journey".

bigtyme805

Member III
It will be a good/fun sail and also to say you have been there. Try to hit a good weather window. I did not spend the night just anchored and relaxed for a few hours.

It will be some good experience for you instead of always going to Catalina.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I actually have quite a bit more experience to sailing to other destinations than Catalina. I used to sail out of Oxnard and sailed to Santa Cruz about 5 time, Anacapa many more times. Santa Barbara will be the farthest off shore sail for me though. I also sailed my E-27 up to San Pedro from San Diego.

In another life, many years ago I sailed extensively in Puget Sound and BC. Alaska has to be the best experience of all. I cheated though. I flew up there and sailed for a week with my Father who single handed his 25 footer up there from Seattle.

It's quite a bit different up north in the inland passages with swift tides and shallows.

Hope I don't sound defensive but Catalina does have the tourist boaters reputation.

Beam Winds

Last edited:

bigtyme805

Member III
Hey Jeff:

I know you are experienced just giving you a hard time. I wish I could go to Catalina more often just too far for me unless I have some days off.

It's Santa Cruz for me most of the time.

Sam Vickery

Member III
Friday Sailing

We went out of Dana Point on Friday. Sailed out about 6 miles. Winds were gusting to about 18kts. As usual, a great day to be on the water. There are a few Ericsons at Dana Point but we seldom see them out.

Sam
86 E 32-3

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I have decided not to do Santa Barbara Island at this time.

I have decided not to do Santa Barbara Island at this time. I think I will wait for the Fall to try it. Instead I will spend a week at Catalina at different locations. First Cat Harbor on Sunday the 22nd, possibly Little Harbor on the 23rd and then Two Harbors for the 24th & 25th, Avalon, (if I can get in) on the 26th and 27th.

This is a very loose scheduled but the long and the short of it is that I will be somewhere on and around Catalina from July 22nd until July 28th.

Keep your eyes peeled for this transom sign. Oh, forget the orange life ring, I have a white one now with no name on it.

Skipper Jeff, Out!

Attachments

• P1010002_7.jpg
    P1010002_7.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

HGSail

Member III
I got into lady's on Santa Cruz before just before the winds kicked up. And left Fri 6am for Smugs in 15kts of wind 2-4' swell. Smuglers was glassy and flat.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Sven

Seglare
Hi Jeff,

I hope Sven chimes in. I think he sailed there twice from Marina Del Rey on his E-23 La Petite.

Sorry I didn't spot this earlier. I've been so preoccupied with other projects that I haven't been here except for drive-by visits every few months.

Remember:
>Yes, La Petite is For Sail/Sale !
>
>We've decided to sidegrade to a scandinavian design of the stinkpot
>persuasion, an Albin 25. We are starting a major new project which will
>occupy too much of our time to allow us to leisurely sail out of Marina Del
>Rey, but the stresses will still dictate time on the water so we'll get a boat
>we "turn on" to get out.

Well, never had the heart to actually do it, at least not yet. We haven't had time to get on the water for many months either but this Friday we'll head back to Catalina if nothing goes awry.

Back to your question, too late to be of any use to you.

Yes, I think we've been out there 3 or 4 times on La Petite and many times on the Great Escape dive boat. We love the island, mainly because it is an island with "nothing to do". McDonalds or pizza places ... forget it :)

We've actually been very lucky with the weather every time. We have that boating and diving book (name ?) which covers the local islands and have called off a few trips when there was even a hint of Santa Anas in the air. The only recommended anchorage is by the landing, staying clear of the CG mooring. That anchorage is inside a sometimes vigorous kelp bed which provides some protection and offers 30' anchor depth. In case of Santa Anas your only choice is to get out of there.

Once we got there and you were not allowed to go ashore due to the brown pelican rookery. We tried to find out how to know in advance if the island would be open but that was really frustrating and we never did get an answer.

You can't mind the barking sea lions through the night. I detest dogs that bark at night but the sea lions were no problem at all for us. We did bring ear plugs the first time to be on the safe side but never used them.

Sitting in the cockpit at night with even the anchor light turned off was like being on another planet. We'd hear snorting sea lions diving around us and under us. The most amazing feeling came from seeing the bioluminescence of the sea lions as they dove under us, leaving greenish "contrails" around and below us.

It was a bit unnerving to think that any one of the males would probably swamp us if he decided to jump aboard, but none ever did. Being 10-15 feet from a couple of 800 pound bulls as they were fighting next to the landing ladder was also a bit terrifying. Snot and chunks of blubber flying with impressive bellowing as accompaniment. Locking eyes in mid-fight was also interesting ... I could almost see his little brain trying to figure out if I was part of the supremacy-fight on the boulder behind the ladder.

The walk around the island is also beautiful but very noisy if you walk through the seagull rookery (on the path). You get dive-bombed and they scored a direct hit on Nancy one visit. You also get to see how they put up a neighborhood watch if you stop for a while. A couple or three seagulls will stand there watching you intently as you sit drinking your water or having a snack. As soon as you make a move to get up they alert all the others and bedlam breaks out again.

Some of the vistas are spectacular. There are 3 or maybe as many as 5 hiking loops across and around the island and it is worth your time to just hike and let it all soak in.

Hmmm, I think I just made myself want to go back again. Maybe we'll go there instead of Catalina this Friday !

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thanks for the positive and detailed report on Santa Barbara I. Sven. I will get there someday soon. I had a great week with stops to Cat and Little Harbors on the back side of Catalina. See the "Catalina for the Weekend" thread.

Jeff:egrin: