• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Steering cable Housings

chuckshipp

Have a 1981 ericson, 28+ With wheel steering,from the wheel pedestal, to the framework for the rudder quadrant, there are two stiff housings carrying s 3/16" cable
My cable broke inside one of these housings, and I am trying to clean them out, or replace them. They are about 7'4" long, Can I get any help??
Thanks
Chuck Shipp:

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Chuck,
We may need some more specifics in order to try and render some help. All the Ericsons of your vintage that I have seen use a Yacht Specialties wire rope "pull pull" steering system. The flexible cables go to the bottom the pedistal, make a 90 degree turn upwards and are connected to bicycle chain (for lack of the proper term for it) inside. That chain, in turn, goes over a toothed sprocket that you turn when you turn your wheel.

Yacht Specialties went out of business about 1990... Checking the Edson site, I see that they offer a "conduit system" and perhaps an early version of this is what you have.
http://www.edsonmarine.com/faq/DataSheets/S-926.pdf

Ya think?

:confused:

Loren