• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

clutch recommendations?

dc27

have boat, need time
so, E-27 "Lotus" (hull no. 1270) is once again on the high seas of Puget Sound, after about three years of tragic non-use by the PO and three months of prohibitively crummy weather recently. the new main and halyards are on, new furling genoa and asymmetric are on their way. with the arrival of spring i've been out six times in the last two weeks, learning the boat and getting some seasonally premature burns. yay!

a few more needs are becoming apparent, among them a clutch for the aft-led main halyard. anyone have recommendations for a good one? all comments appreciated!

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
When it comes to rope clutches I have been a big fan of Spinlock. For your boat the XAS line should be suitable. They are easy to use and very well made. A boat I race on has these clutches that have been in heavy service for 8 years now in complete year round weather exposure and they look and work as well as new. I am in no way connected with Spinlock but would gladly accept any free samples from them for my kind words about their products...:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The engineering that went into the Lewmar "falling rings" concept is really thoughtful.
Those clutches can be eased under load, hold well, and do *not* abraid our lines.
Other brands may have been improved over the years and be quite acceptable, but this design from Lewmar is, to me, the standard by which the others must be measured.

My .01 worth,
Loren

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Lewmar Superlocks! They are the top pick for Practical Sailor for more than a fe reasons. I have new D2 models on my E38 and love them. They work as advertised. You can release line very slowly while under load. They don't tear up the line at all. The levers also pull towards you and not away like many designs so they fit right up next to a dodger without problems. I got the best price at www.riggingonly.com In stock when no one else had them. RT

dc27

have boat, need time
so that's two votes for Lewmar, two votes for Spinlock, and one for Garhauer....thanks guys, i'll investigate all!

also, i'll note as a postscript that i recently got a set of Garhauer sheet blocks, and they are quite cool. an interesting line of products they have, at great prices.