• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Steering System Leak (E-32)

JIm Weatherbie

Hull number 521. Rudder post is leaking on the forward side of the tube about 3 inches above the inside of the hull. There is a rubber boot (3.5" x 5.0") covering the the section of rudder post tube between the bottom of the packing gland flange and the bottom of the tube. I replaced the pipe clamps (4 each) 2 at the bottom and 2 at the top hoping to stop the leak. No such luck...
I have not found the steering system deatail for my Hull No.521 as yet however an owner of a Hull No. 550 sent me the detail of the 550. It seems that there is not suppose to be a rubber boot installed on this system, suggesting cover up work rather than fixing the problem. I'm hauling her out again on monday, august 19th. 2002 , I can't wait to tie in to this problem to see whats up.
If any of you have experience with this repair, PLEASE HELP!
I noticed that the design of the rudder post on Hull No. 550 is a vertical run that ends behind the wheel. On the Hull No. 521 the rudder post is at a tilt, and ends in front of the wheel allowing easy access to the rudder post and all that jazz, but I wonder if the weight bias at the bronze bushing at the base of rudder post tube could be part of the problem. (you know, getting all gunked up and causing the bushing to wear away at the fiber glass.. Also on the Hull No. 550 it depicts a grease fitting. If there was one on mine its beneath the rubber boot. That could be it also...Thanx in advance for any suggestions....Jim Weatherbie

JORGE

Member III
My rudder post ...etc

On my E 32 hull 579 480, (not sure what the hell number is?) but the boat is a 1971.
The rudder post is a solid mass, angling upward to the cockpit connecting to the ruuder head where ther is a pin. The other pin goes right thru the quadrant.
I am about to change the rudder packing which is beneath the quadrant. It has been leaking, I also released the port side sheave which is connnected to the quadrant, ( it was almost off anyway), the whole quadrant apparently made of corroded iron by Yacht specialties. Rebuilding that structure is a deal! There is no rubber boot on the post.

I noticed when the quadrant was removed the rudder play increased to about to about 1/4" instead of 1/16" as when the quadrant is attached. So, I believe? the bushing(bearing) my be a goner.

Has anyone personally changed the Rudder "bearing". That's my next job.

:confused:

JORGE

Member III
At the rudder head E 32-2 Project

I realized that there is also play at the head of the rudder shaft contributing to play, and removed the head yesterday and will attempt to use pvc as a bearing to snug the shaft at the pivot under the rudder head. However, area around the shaft has a thin edge and mylar may be the only material that will fit. The head grease fitting is missing. I 've begun thinking about changing the lower rudder bearing at the same time since the rudder will be comin' down. I asssume there is some sort of bearing under the shaft log for the rudder.
At first, I harnessed the rudder with dockline and blocked it up from under. The steering quadrant is nearly removed( cables are off but there are several bolts and a cross pin to be loosened. (The shaft, at the top apears to have an epoxy plug filling inside?). The log below the quadrant, is just below the stuffing box (plate w/ 4 screws), it is encased in hard epoxy. It is my understanding that a Delrin ring or tube can be fitted as a bearing replacement plus a Delrin ring is at the top of the rudder(?). I'll look into also purchasing a bronze type bearing if possible, from PYI, Tides marine, or Edson.